Notices

Fuel Pump Location

Old 08-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Location

Quick question.
Got a 2001 Velocity.
Any ideas where the fuel pump is located?
Motor is a 454 MPI. Getting ready to swap it out to a 496, with a Demon Carb.

Also, where would one mount the new electric fuel pump? (I am sure many on this board have done this before)

New motor is arriving in 2 weeks.. Going to be a project, just want to cover all my bases to make it a smooth transition. Looking forward to 1 1/2 months of all out 90mph+..
Old 08-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Pump Location

My 454 Mag MPI has a mechanical fuel pump that sits on top of the sea water pump. I know there are two types, the VST, and the cool fuel systems. You can check Merc's website with your serial number and you can see what system you have.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:20 PM
Registered

Is either easy to replace either? I am assuming you would mount the new pump on the back wall, along with the fuel pressure regulator?

I am also going to assume it does not make much of a difference "which" one it is, since it will be removed anyway?

thanks

john
Old 08-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Your 2001 mpi pump is mounted down low,under the plastic cover,near the r/hand motor mount as you face motor from inside of boat,as far as replacing it,you will be re-plumbing fuel lines at that point,you also might as well buy a new fuel cooler that also allows you to use npt adapters (instead of the push together setup on fuel cooler w/funky fittings etc). You will want to mount your new pump as low as possible (probably on a stringer) so it doesn't have to struggle to pull fuel from gas tank. Looking back at your initial posting i see your installing a carbed motor,when you pull stock mpi out,your fuel pump will be hidden in harness/cooler on motor,youll just have to start from scratch at fuel line coming from your tank and power a relay to run your new pump,good luck,Smitty
Old 08-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Registered

Thanks artic.
I kinda figured as much. I will keep that advice, and mount the new pump down low. Only thing I am left to wonder, my could I not use the existing 12V line going to the pump? the old pump was electric, right? You recomend a new relay??

The new pump is shipping tomorrow, should have it by thurs. Also with the MSD box. I could wire them up at the same time.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

If your adapting your old efi harness(i doubt you are)there are a pair of wires on engine harness you could trigger a relay with. As simple as a carb motor is i would mount a 40 0r 50 amp bosch relay on transom to run your pump and use a igniton on wire to trigger it,as a safety measure i would also tee a cutout switch to the relay with your oil presure sending unit so pump will only run after you have oil pressure and will never run if key gets left on or worse. Smitty (you don't really need that big of a relay but it would be good insurance that it never oveheats and burns out)