500 EFI Modifications ??? >

500 EFI Modifications ???

Notices

500 EFI Modifications ???

Old 08-26-2004, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 500 EFI Modifications ???

What are the part numbers for the replacement springs and where do I get them and how much? Which retainers and clips? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:58 PM
ISurvivedNMU

Merc uses comp cams 929's Its 1/4 of the price to buy comp cams than mercs box. Call teague custome marine... they can get you the springs, keepers and retainers for less than 250.... plus fifty if you want titanium...

B

Old 08-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Strip,

Call Kevin Brady at Dell Marine (Formerly Port Jackson SeaRay Fountain) in Jacksonville, Florida.

This guy really knows his stuff. He has been the only guy to touch my boat and I have been very pleased with his work, as has many others I know.

He will not blow any smoke, he knows what works and what dosen't.

I have plans to leave my boat with him this winter. I have stock 500 EFI's with 240 hours on them. Kevin has ridden in my boat a lot and he was at the Emerald Coast Poker Run and we talked about this exact same thing.

We are changing the heads out completey, going with a different cam and some tuning on the ECM. I'm also adding extension boxes to my setup.

I will not get the horsepower you are looking for, but we just want to keep a VERY reliable boat that always finishes the poker runs!

Kevin Brady
Dell Marine #904-730-9968
Cell #904-477-4142

Tell him Doc told you to call.

That is Kevin on the right of this picture in the tan cap.
Attached Thumbnails 500 EFI Modifications ???-jacksonville-2004-008.jpg  
Old 08-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ISKY 8005-A XP Endurance springs. They're about 155 on the seat.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Registered

With Regards to the Wipple Charger mentioned earlier, I have one on a 02 HP500, and at only 6# of Boost I picked up 16mph........Would not have believed it unless I owned the boat myself.

Only other modification are a Aeromotive Fuel Pump and Filter, Steel Braided lines and AN fittings, Boost Sensitive Regulator, and a boost and fuel pressure gauge.

FYI it is also the new larger compressor that sits on top of the HP500 Engine, not strapped to the side with the little intercooler.

This set-up performs flawlessly, and I have not had any problems to date. It is funny how I run past people that are doing 70, 80, and 90 mph and then when they catch up and look at the engine they can't believe how much power it makes, yet how stable it idles, and runs.

Good Luck with whatever you decide, but in any chance definitely do the Whipple!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Registered

call paul phaff in cal. he has a lot of packages for a 500efi
Old 09-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BgBoost1
With Regards to the Wipple Charger mentioned earlier, I have one on a 02 HP500, and at only 6# of Boost I picked up 16mph........Would not have believed it unless I owned the boat myself.

Only other modification are a Aeromotive Fuel Pump and Filter, Steel Braided lines and AN fittings, Boost Sensitive Regulator, and a boost and fuel pressure gauge.

FYI it is also the new larger compressor that sits on top of the HP500 Engine, not strapped to the side with the little intercooler.

This set-up performs flawlessly, and I have not had any problems to date. It is funny how I run past people that are doing 70, 80, and 90 mph and then when they catch up and look at the engine they can't believe how much power it makes, yet how stable it idles, and runs.

Good Luck with whatever you decide, but in any chance definitely do the Whipple!!!
Is that the one with the built in innercooler? They tell me the Whipple requires a new computer not a recalibration.$900.00 what about the 50lbs injectors??2 bar map sensor?throttle body modification?

Pro charger is a lot cheaper,

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:41 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking into this to find out all I can. I also want about 650HP out of the EFI's. I think if you are trying to use the 502 blocks you can only get about 675-685HP out of the motors with good reliability. I think you will need to go to a 540 to get 640-650hp. I think the criteria on either setup will be getting the compression to 9.5, a larger cam, ECU program to increase the rev limiter to 5700RPM, new heads, & port matching the intake to the heads.

There are pro's & con's on each way. On the 675HP version, JE does not make a 4.5 bore piston that will get you in the 9.5 range. The pop up they make ends up being in the 9.9 range that is to much for pump gas. You could open the heads up, but I think a custom made piston would cost less. Heads are another issue, the Edelbrock heads look to be the best way to go other than I think a steel head is better for salt water. I have not used them so I have little knowledge of there performance. With the stock exhaust location, the short turn radius can't be much better than stock heads. I like the Iron Eagle 308cc heads because they are steel that will last longer and have a .300 raised exhaust port. Dart tells me this is the same cast as the Pro 1 but thicker surfaces. The problem is it takes a .250 longer intake valve and needs new push rods. That is not a big problem, but the 500 valve covers will not seal with the ORing gasket they use due to the taller valve train setup. I think they may seal with the GM steel composite gasket first seem on the 502s. The AFR head is the best, but I think the cost does not justify the result in a pleasure style engine. The AFR head has the same alignment issues as Darts.

JE SRP makes a small pop up piston for the 540. It has a 6cc dome that gets you right to 9.7 CR area. Clean up the chambers, add in a Eagle Gen 4 early style crank that is externally balanced with the seal adapter, ARP rod bolts on the 500 rods, balance the assembly and you have a 540. Be careful not to buy the 1 piece style crank or a rotating kit unless you want to buy a new flywheel and balancer. All those kits are internal balanced. The GM 502 rods are 4340 and hold up well. The Eagle Cranks generally take a .001 over main bearing set. Measure well here. There are good savings using the Gen 4 crank setup without giving up power.

The EFI unit is suppose to flow 1300+ CFM. If you think of that, is bigger than any Holley dominator or any air flow calculation needed by the engine. Arizona Speed tells me the 540 will need bigger injectors and reprogramming the pulse to the injectors. Port match should help any flow issues.

There was a guy I talked to on the phone from OSO that was doing the 540 upgrades and was suppose post the result on the board. I did not see them or missed them. Did anyone see his post? I want to find out all I can before I start this winter.