Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Lube >

Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Lube

Notices

Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Lube

Old 10-19-2004, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Lube

I recently changed over to Red Line gear lube from Mercury gear lube for my Bravo One. This is the first oil change since I converted over. The oil has about 40 hrs on it. When I took the drain plugs out the little rubber washers were deteriorated. Is this caused from the Red Line oil or is it normal for this to happen. The outdrive had about 80 hrs on it when I changed over and the rubber washers were fine. It now has 120hrs.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Re: Red Line Heavy Shockproof Gear Lube

Not seeing the o-rings/drive,etc I'd say it's normal deterioration. Were the o-rings black or orange? The old black ones would dry out and get brittle. I've used a jewelers screwdriver or an awl to clean up the residue on my Speed Masters. It's not uncommon for folks to get a tablespoon of milky looking fluid when the lower plug is removed. Many times, it's the o-ring. I change the o-ring/plug every year. The screwdriver slot just won't take any abuse, not that it should going into aluminum but it's hard to get a good bite with a screwdriver. A hand impact driver tapped LIGHTLY can be used. Up top, I use some really neat 3/8 hex head magnetic plugs advertised in Hot Boat a few years ago by All Seasons Marine in Boulder City, Nevada. For me, it's a tight fit up there with the Mayfair Steering brackets. I can get a wrench in there to remove the plug to change fluid and get it nice and tight when I'm done. I'm sure there are a lot of other tips here from the other OSO members. Just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bikinilover
I recently changed over to Red Line gear lube from Mercury gear lube for my Bravo One. This is the first oil change since I converted over. The oil has about 40 hrs on it. When I took the drain plugs out the little rubber washers were deteriorated. Is this caused from the Red Line oil or is it normal for this to happen. The outdrive had about 80 hrs on it when I changed over and the rubber washers were fine. It now has 120hrs.
I've been using Redline for 8 year with no problems. I repleace the washers on the drian plugs with every oil change.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Registered

It sounds like it is normal and I should change them with every oil change. I called Bam Marine and the guy told me the same thing.

Thanks!