Notices

Fountain 42

Old 11-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Fountain 42

I just got a Fountain 42 with 525's and Bravo XR's and have a couple of questions for you all...

Mine throws a big rooster tail at any speed between 40 and 70, even with minimal trim. It levels out between 70 and 80. In past boats I've had, I had to trim up pretty hard to throw a substantial tail... more for show than go! It's not a problem for me so long as I'm not wasting power. Is this normal for my rig?

The boat came with Bravo I 32 pitch props. Has anyone found a better prop to peak the top speed a little bit? Will lab finishing help?

Thanks - hope to join you all on some runs in Florida.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Registered

Talking Re: Fountain 42

Call Julie at Throttle Up in Florida she will be able to help you. They put more speed in my boat with there tweaked props.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Re: Fountain 42

Most of your "tail" is due to a higher prop height than your other boats. The top of the blades come out of the water and the tail results. Normal.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:27 PM
monsta

What year is your boat, pending that , comes into play the step configuration and x dimension as far as why your tail is so high. 32 sounds a little steep of pitch, especially for 525's. What's your gear ratio? Also you may want to try a set of herring's or maximus's from mercury. Hrydromotive's new 5 blader is also a decent wheel. Lastly what is your speed, for ratio , x dimension, and mph will help you determine if this tail is a good thing or a sign of something else.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely have your props labbed. When I did mine I was suprised at how much smoother the boat ran. I lost a little hole shot but ran 88mph with half tanks, myself and wife on board in 1-2' chop. (lake michigan)

I had George Helsop do the props out of Chicago, it took three times to get it right but it was worth it.

2005 42 Executioner 525's
Old 11-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Registered

Thanks for the great replies... all of you. The boat is a 2005 Lightning. I have run it up to only 79mph so far, but always had 5 people and lots of gas. I want to give the engines a few hours before holding it at top end too long. She's only been out twice so far. I think it was about 5300 or 5400 rpm at the time. I'll get back to you with the rest of the info.

If I was going to lab the props, can I supply them to Throttle-Up? Or do I have to buy them from them? Any idea on cost?

Thanks Again!
Old 11-18-2004, 06:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Most of your "tail" is due to a higher prop height than your other boats. The top of the blades come out of the water and the tail results. Normal.
I'm just used to having to trim pretty high to throw the tail. Usually we do that to show off more than to peak the speed. This rig throws the major tail when the trim guage is still on 1.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:33 AM
Registered

Re: Fountain 42

Call Julie 877 842 6855 Toll Free She will be able to tell you what they can do for you.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:58 AM
Registered

Cool Re: Fountain 42

Originally Posted by monsta
What year is your boat, pending that , comes into play the step configuration and x dimension as far as why your tail is so high. 32 sounds a little steep of pitch, especially for 525's. What's your gear ratio? Also you may want to try a set of herring's or maximus's from mercury. Hrydromotive's new 5 blader is also a decent wheel. Lastly what is your speed, for ratio , x dimension, and mph will help you determine if this tail is a good thing or a sign of something else.
I hear ya, but let's hope that Fountain knew what they were doing when they calculated the "x" dimension, prop height and all that. I'm sure Reggie did this one personally!

How do I find the ratio of my drives? Is it marked on the drives anywhere?
Old 11-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Badtoon
Call Julie 877 842 6855 Toll Free She will be able to tell you what they can do for you.
Thanks... I'll go over there tomorrow if I get a chance.

Quick Reply: Fountain 42

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.