Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is this motor winterized safely? >

Is this motor winterized safely?

Notices

Is this motor winterized safely?

Old 12-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Is this motor winterized safely?

What is the actual point of fogging the motors and why if you do fog the motors do you then in turn have to change your spark plugs in the spring?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gripit
What is the actual point of fogging the motors and why if you do fog the motors do you then in turn have to change your spark plugs in the spring?
To the extent you fog it yes.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:40 AM
Registered

Why? What does the fogging do to your plugs?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by puder
taht how i uslaly do it too. This year cus my batteries weredead and i had to do alast miute superfast winterize (it got asuper cold one night) i drained my block and dumped -100 AF till it was full. My ok like that?
Interesting info- your af freezes well before -100F.

The Pink -50 RV AF freezes at 18* (Not -18), It wont expand until it gets to -50. I dont know the freeze point on the -100, but dont think it wont freeze.

And yes, you are more than fine using -100, I used -50.

Do not forget to add stablizier in fuel before hand, so it is able to get into fuel system.

Fogging- prevents rust, it can never hurt to change plugs in the spring, one less thing to worry about when it is 80* and sunny.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Registered

Does Fogging damage your plugs in any way?
Old 12-16-2004, 03:43 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperBaja
Interesting info- your af freezes well before -100F.

The Pink -50 RV AF freezes at 18* (Not -18), It wont expand until it gets to -50. I dont know the freeze point on the -100, but dont think it wont freeze.

And yes, you are more than fine using -100, I used -50.

Do not forget to add stablizier in fuel before hand, so it is able to get into fuel system.

Fogging- prevents rust, it can never hurt to change plugs in the spring, one less thing to worry about when it is 80* and sunny.

HA yeha lek i'll actually get to use my boat next season! I acke dup a whole 4 hours this ear.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 454 Likes on 249 Posts

No ! but that way is great for the engine replacement bizz. it is Russian roulette to not drain the blocks guys that are testing the exaust water are forgetting that it is mostly bypass. they need to draw a sample off the block drain to see how much antifreeze they have! we often rewinterize for people after proving they have very little protection in the block(we are in upstate ny on lake ontario and it gets COLD with lots of snow)rv anti freeze is freezable with as little as 10% water.......ur call
Old 12-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I personally never ran AF thru without draining the block and manifolds. I figure it takes me an extra 15 minutes to drain the manifolds and blocks. It's peice of mind for me that I have pure AF in the motor that's not diluted. It usually takes about 5 gallons, as soon as AF starts comming out the exhaust start fogging.

I was a mechanic for a local marnina for around 5 years and we weren't even allowed to winterize a motor without draining all the fresh water out due to insurance regulations.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

One thing,,, be careful with the fogging oil. I've seen other mechanics put way to much in and bend pushrods etc.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by boostbros
No ! but that way is great for the engine replacement bizz. it is Russian roulette to not drain the blocks guys that are testing the exaust water are forgetting that it is mostly bypass. they need to draw a sample off the block drain to see how much antifreeze they have! we often rewinterize for people after proving they have very little protection in the block(we are in upstate ny on lake ontario and it gets COLD with lots of snow)rv anti freeze is freezable with as little as 10% water.......ur call
Boostbros, I'm with ya on this one! I've seen bad things happen to people that cut corners. I used to winterize about 50-75 boats myself per season (which included shrinkwapping each boat) and I wasn't interested in taking chances!

Quick Reply: Is this motor winterized safely?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.