Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I JUST GOT MY 3" WINCH STRAP UNBELIEVABLE!! >

I JUST GOT MY 3" WINCH STRAP UNBELIEVABLE!!

Notices

I JUST GOT MY 3" WINCH STRAP UNBELIEVABLE!!

Old 01-20-2005, 06:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Re: I JUST GOT MY 3" WINCH STRAP UNBELIEVABLE!!

Originally Posted by WILDTHING TAZ
it's when you pull out of a steep ramp and trailer flexes the strap breaks. it's happend more than once. you don't pull 12,000 lbs up by a strap or on soap. its only ment to hold the boat.
Do you have a chain up by the strap as well? I have a length that runs from the main beam of the trailer, up to the hook, once the boat is up snug, I hook the chain, then take a bit of tension off the strap.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Offshoredrillin makes a good point about the safety chain. Getting the boat forward the last foot can be tough. What can help is to get on a level surface, go forward a few miles an hour and stand on the brakes. It works if the bunks are wet. It works really well if the rear tie-downs aren't on or are loose (sorry, I couldn't resist). It seems every rig is a little different and techniques will vary with ramp angles. Ain't telling ya anything you already don't know
Old 01-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Registered

I got one of those winch straps this fall. I hated the cable that would unwind when tension was released. I put it on the trailer and will have to wait until spring to try it out, but I am very impressed with the hook and the weight of the strap. That doesn't sound right, but I don't know how else to say it.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bill,
put alot of tension when you wind the strap up the first time, otherwise if you hit a tight spot, the strap will wind within itself, It's hard to explain but you will see once you have some weight on it. Dont get me wrong I love the strap, but take these few steps and save your self some headache.
1.put some dish detergent on your bunks.
2. Have serious pressure on it when you wind it the first time, similar to drag on a fishing line.
3. hook a safety chain or another strap to it once you are done winching, then back it off a couple clicks. (this also helps when the trailer is flexing on turns and hills)
4. always check it once you pull out of the ramp onlevel ground. its easy to just drive away but all the tension will be off it then, and I had my 311 slip a little once and it sat way crooked. I dropped it back in and reset it.
4. If you can do it, drive it up on the bunks, its scary at first but you'll get used to it. That way you can just use the strap to snug it.

Best of luck...Rob
Old 01-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

I sink the trailer as deep as possible. Just about a foot to winch up. I dip the dual wheels
1/2 way in the water on the truck as a guide. If I here Bubbling from the cummings
I know Im to deep
Old 01-20-2005, 09:53 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes Chris makes 2" staps also. I ordered mine last week and shipped them to my rigger, Total Marine in Slidell so they will be there when I pick up the boat. He also makes tie down rachet staps for bow and transom.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by caveman
I sink the trailer as deep as possible. Just about a foot to winch up. I dip the dual wheels
1/2 way in the water on the truck as a guide. If I here Bubbling from the cummings
I know Im to deep
i leave just a tip of the bunks showing and drive up on it, truck is never in the water, BUT always wet the bunks first, tremendous amount of friction if you dont. and the detergent works...always remember, lube is good...
Old 01-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Registered

Will the soap make it possible to slide back on then bunks and add too much tension to the strap?

After reading this I am going to try soap and was wondering.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:20 AM
VIP Member

I have found that spraying the bunks with silicone works great. It last about a month or six launches. It slides on and off with ease. Make sure you have a secondary attachment besides the winch strap. I have a chain that does that.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

No it wont, you wont be going that fast. thats the purpose of the safety chain and the rear tie downs. My Formula is about 9600 lbs and I dont worry about it sliding at all. I agree w/ big, make it easy going on and off, and the time you spend securing it it minimal as well as youve done the prep. My only concern about the silicone is if it would leach into the gelcoat. I dont know much about that but if it does, that may cause a prob. I normally can have my boat on the trailer and out of the water in about 5 mins by using the drive on method. Just keep a small bottle of soap in your tool box and its always available.

Quick Reply: I JUST GOT MY 3" WINCH STRAP UNBELIEVABLE!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.