Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS  Can we grow together? >

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Notices

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be successful in fulfilling the true meaning of "UNITED WE RACE" you would need common goals and common objectives.

There are three Organizatrions that have two different types of Ownership. One is owned by the Racers with decisions made by committee and the other two are owned by private individuals that make decisions on their own.

As far as objectives, two organizations are for "profit" and one is a "Non-Profit". Thus, two of the organizations will make decisions that create a profit and one will hopefully do what is good for the sport.

There is no intent of negativity here, there is no right or wrong here. Simply put I am only trying to make awareness of the situation and bring to the forefront why three organizations as they stand today have difficulties in sharing events.

Racers & Fans being the majority here, if they are interested in sharing events & Racesites with other Organizations should speak their mind and send a strong message either by e-mail or letter form to their respective Decision makers indicating what their desires are.

Then maybe things might change in the future.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The V twin classes have gone thru the greatest changes. Now they are spread out among many classes. Xtreme, super, Class1 -2-3.
In order to make P1 approach work I think more than power to weight needs to be applied. Some boats are just plain faster than others. Maybe if there were x dimension and/or prop restrictions a more equal field could be created.

I assume there will always be a class bracket and spec class in racing. If we take a model using the present day strong classes and build a model around them. The classes of largest and most committed racers become the premier and the others accept the lesser rule.

There are many groups of officials and safety. They have all contributed much to everyones efforts and all should have a place in the Model.

Everyone wants to be THE SHOW. The show should be the strongest and most committed. Each club has a portion of this.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There Are Ways For This To Work. We Do Need To Consolidate Classes
One Cat Inboard Class
One 6 Litre Cat Class
P1 Type V Class
Svl
And Run What You Brung Class For The Guy Testing The Waters To See If He Wants To Bite The Bullet And Buy A Canopied Race Boat
Mike Stancombe

If we do this then many of the race Teams in speed classes now could fit in, and those that don't would simply continue to race their speed class . The Cat Outboard/6 litre and SVL classes should stay as is. The cat inboard class rules would have to be developed maybe also with input from Class 1 who seem to be changing their rules for 09 anyway, and P1 rules V class...
Old 09-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Listening to all these rules and classes is making me crazy. What do you think the spectators are thinking. I've heard them say that the didn't know who was in the lead or who won the race, until they saw the Checkered Flags and which class was which. All they know except for those who follow it, is the fastest boat won or did it. All this can be worked out by all the orgs., in 2009, if they really want to put their heads together. Lets face, they all have the power to change things, after all we are not dealing with dummies but Leaders, who are motivater's and intelligent. They really all want the same thing for Offshore Powerboating and put in a ton of time but feel that it would be a sing of weakness if they changed their position from what it has always been. Who is going to step forward and be the motivator and leader to go where no Org. has gone before. Could it be JC? Why not?
Old 09-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered

The for profit or not plays a big part. Seems to me the Non profit is the most hospitable of the bunch. Some will spin it and say they are desperate. I see it more as intimidation, but that doesn't really matter. Move forward as a whole with compromise is best for everyone. The other for profit guys have devoted there time, deserve a return, but are less yielding. That is business. Do the profit guys help the sport as a whole or just themselves? Tough call. There is a broad enough area and appeal for everyone to have a place. If only everyone could put the sport first.

I expect after this weekend other views will be in the mix.

Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 09-20-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:54 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Jim,

Let's not forget with every organization there is a position on a committee. In order to take 3 orgs and make 1, two people for every position in the committee will have to give up their jobs. That would be interesting to see who would be willing to do that !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Registered

I am not suggesting to make one. I am looking for common ground and structure for the sport to GROW as one. Everyone can and should have a place. Just not in conflict with others.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:19 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Cool

This is not meant to be taken negatively but rather take the negative and learn from it. The state of Offshore Powerboat racing is where it is and seperated by person's who caused it to be that way. Quite a few years ago the sport was heading in a great direction. It had a great structure of classes that are being discussed in this thread. One organization had almost everything that OPA has and everything that OSS has. Once again, time after time again the same thing occurs. Someone or someones get upset take there toy and go play some where else. For instance, APBA LLC to OSS to OPS all because some individuals did not get there way. Until a structure similar to NASCAR, where Non-Racers are making the decisions and making tech rules and enforcing therm you will not have the growth you all want.

Each organization that is up and running today works well for that specific organization and the model they have chosen to go with. True UNITY will not happen until people stick to a rule plan or a proposed agenda and deal with it for a given time whether good or bad. I still hope that someday it can be a real deal motorsport. Maybe not quite like NASCAR but much like other forms of auto racing that have been working well for a long period of time.

DPT

Some how I know I am going to get bashed for this but then again it just needed to be stated so there it is.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:21 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Cool

On a more positive not it may be wise if a restructuring were to occur to work along with the UIM ao people can go and race on each side of the pond if budgets allow it to,
Old 09-20-2008, 10:00 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
I am not suggesting to make one. I am looking for common ground and structure for the sport to GROW as one. Everyone can and should have a place. Just not in conflict with others.
Unfortunately there is just not enough weekends in a season to do that.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.