Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS  Can we grow together? >

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Notices

SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Old 09-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

I would like to start be saying Good Luck all in the upcoming events.

Please no negative remarks. Just positive discussion.

Soon this season will be over and we will look forward to next.

The reason I did this is to help create a positive discussion. There is enough posturing, bashing, and hyping of clubs already. Yes, we already know of problems. LETS MOVE FORWARD.

I have done some math on the 3 clubs to highlight the good in each. Maybe a discussion of positive points could lead to some growth we all strive for. Seems unlikely there will ever be one, but maybe step one could be for all clubs to act like one for the advancement and growth of the sport as a whole and see where it may lead.

Boats Listed ......... OPA/ Geico Cup.....SBI/APBA...... OSS
.................................... 120..............80.............. 55.....................

Boats that raced................ 67..............45 ...............35.....................

Boats that raced................17 / 24 ........ 3 ................13....................
Every event

Percentage of boats............5 / 35%......... 6% .............43% ..................
Raced every event...........................13% missed 1.... 60% missed 1 race

I didn't figure average per event. We already know OPA has the boat count, SBI doesn't except Sarasota and KW and OSS is consistent at 20 -22.

We all want growth and we share much in common.

OPA was the most boats, SBI was the Biggest event, OSS has the highest percentage of commitment to a schedule. Also the broadest reach of sites and the most complete staff.
Rules are similar in all. Each has its own staff and safety. A few boats race in all clubs where schedules allow. Many boats are listed in more than one group.

I think it is clear the sport needs some common direction. Each has its sites, loyal racers, high point champions. If we can’t be one maybe we can act as one. No conflicting schedules. Let us do some group events at choice site.

OPA strongest class is Class 5, OSS strongest classes are SLV and Cat 850.
There are only so many teams capable of running full schedules. I think they should run together. Teams can still win divisional titles in their perspective areas.

Remember this is offshore. The best open water sites of each club should be dubbed National sites and invite everyone.

There are many things that make a great event. If we can focus on each others strengths and grow together instead of beating each other down maybe some progress for all can be accomplished.

I didn’t do every spin just a few. I don’t have the answers. I do hope we can move forward together.

Please only positive comments.
I have been watching and participating since ’85.
United we can grow.

Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 09-20-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Cool

ONE TEAM, ONE DIRECTION!!! I agree 100% Jim.

DPT
Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Everyone is aware of what has been said on here, over the years about "United We Race" and as a race fan I am 100% in favour of "United We Race but that is only my opinion and I am not a racer. What I would like to see, is everyone after the Key West Worlds, sit down for a meeting and a beer to try and iron out the issues that have existed and see what transpires. What have any of you to lose. This is by no means an isolated case where a couple of people just wanted to ***** about this issue, you have been hearing it for years and it is in your hands to do something about it or not.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
Everyone is aware of what has been said on here, over the years about "United We Race" and as a race fan I am 100% in favour of "United We Race but that is only my opinion and I am not a racer. What I would like to see, is everyone after the Key West Worlds, sit down for a meeting and a beer to try and iron out the issues that have existed and see what transpires. What have any of you to lose. This is by no means an isolated case where a couple of people just wanted to ***** about this issue, you have been hearing it for years and it is in your hands to do something about it or not.
WISH IT WOULD WORK. BUT WE HAVE SEEN, SOME PEOPLE DONT WANT IT!
I FOR ONE HAVE ALWAYS WANTED IT AND HOPED KW WOULD BE THE START OF SOMETHING GREAT.
MIKE
Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by racesdad
WISH IT WOULD WORK. BUT WE HAVE SEEN, SOME PEOPLE DONT WANT IT!
I FOR ONE HAVE ALWAYS WANTED IT AND HOPED KW WOULD BE THE START OF SOMETHING GREAT.
MIKE
Mike, as you said some people don't want it but I truly think that there are a lot more people who do want it to happen. For those that don't, that is their right, just like it the right for all those, that do want it to happen. The real problem is people that can't put it behind them and move forward. Does it really make any difference who was right or wrong in the past, when their is no Offshore Races or spectators? We have to think of now and the future. Key West will rekindle old and new friendships and I hope that they all just have a fun and a safe race week. After that let's wait and see what will happen, one day at a time, but some body has to be the voice of reason, for the betterment of Offshore Powerboat Racing. 2009 "United We Race".
Old 09-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder how easy or difficult it will be to get sponsors for the race sites next year, this year between the orgs several were lost, so it seems to make even more sense that we get together in 2009 and combine and put on bigger shows for the fans with racing on Sat and Sun.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now SBI, OSS and OPA each have their own people doing the same things, basically triplicating expenses. In these economic conditions consolodation might be the only way for us all to keep racing, at least in the immediate future. Maybe one org with racing commitees representing spec and bracket.... This would take time and commitment to work out but it could be done. And a premeire cat and V class has to be developed to attract better competition, fans and sponsors.

For the spec classes we can't have cat 850, cat 750 cat lite, super cat, cat unlimited, and V. V unlimited etc, Maybe P1 type rules for Cats and V's. And these teams would have to be dedicated or even contracted to show up at all the events. Bracket racing is equallly important and has its own right but fans outside of powerboat racing can't identify with all the different spec boats in a bracket class, and need to be able to follow their favorite Teams in a true offshore Pro-Series.

And lastly all those US Teams racing in Europe need to come home and support US racing.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
I wonder how easy or difficult it will be to get sponsors for the race sites next year, this year between the orgs several were lost, so it seems to make even more sense that we get together in 2009 and combine and put on bigger shows for the fans with racing on Sat and Sun.
I agree, it is difficult to try and get sponsors and we are experiencing that problem right now for 2009. Without the sponsors we won't have to worry about anything else.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

There Are Ways For This To Work. We Do Need To Consolidate Classes
One Cat Inboard Class
One 6 Litre Cat Class
P1 Type V Class
Svl
And Run What You Brung Class For The Guy Testing The Waters To See If He Wants To Bite The Bullet And Buy A Canopied Race Boat
Mike Stancombe
Old 09-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by racesdad
There Are Ways For This To Work. We Do Need To Consolidate Classes
One Cat Inboard Class
One 6 Litre Cat Class
P1 Type V Class
Svl
And Run What You Brung Class For The Guy Testing The Waters To See If He Wants To Bite The Bullet And Buy A Canopied Race Boat
Mike Stancombe
Mike I follow and agree, but where did 6 litre come from? There are many cat outboards out there they should come together and race together.

Quick Reply: SBI/APBA, OPA, OSS Can we grow together?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.