Notices

Water Levels?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by breakitout
Unfortunately lake erie hasnt come up much yet.. maybe only a few inches from the low point, north shore.. still about at last summer's lows and my estimate at least 12-16" below last spring's peak level. Hoping it comes up 12" or more by peak (late may-mid june??) otherwise there will be serious issues in august if not sooner. Not looking good I hate to say. I dont know where all the snowpack in huron/superiour watershed is going?????? evaporating before it hits the lakes??? come on.
Erie isn't going to rise if both Michigan and Huron are low.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not good news, I was hoping the levels would be up a bit, water was SO low last year it was SCARY. I was down to Kingston last week, but, didn't have time to get down to the waters edge, however, I did notice on my drive down that the water levels in the ditches, marshes and wetlands weren't flooded or even unusually high )-:

I realize its going to take more than one year of "good" snow to bring the water back, but I had hoped with all the flooding/rain/snow that water levels would come up noticably, but, I guess when your filling a body of water the size of a Great Lake it takes A LOT of water!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

We were up at Marblehead this past weekend and it is low. It is somewhat higher than a few weeks ago but it is low for this time of year comparing to past years. It is at October levels. Also with all this rain and run off cant imagine what the algae is going to be like, swimming might not be any good towards the end of the summer.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM
Registered

Don't worry about algae, the Asian Carp and Zebra mussels will eat it all, lol
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Registered

Here is a site that shows water levels

http://glakesonline.nos.noaa.gov/monitor.html
Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

This is just part of a report from The Detroit News about U.S. Rep. Candice Miller on the Great lakes today, lets hope she can get some results.

[Rep. Miller pushes for re-evaluation of diversion of water from Lake Michigan
By Gary Heinlein and Marisa Schultz, The Detroit News
Apr 30, 2013
Washington D.C. — Even flood-causing April rains in west Michigan and heavy snow in the Upper Peninsula won't be enough to overcome record-low water levels in lakes Michigan and Huron that have led to emergency dredging and plenty of worry.
The growing concern is reflected in a proposal by U.S. Rep. Candice Miller to re-evaluate a longtime pact letting Illinois divert 3,200 cubic feet per second of Lake Michigan water through Chicago's shipping canal to waterways connecting with the Mississippi River.]

The full story is here.
http://candicemiller.house.gov/press...ge-great-lakes
Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

They sure did not eat much two summers ago.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H2O, are you still believing that BS? Why do you continue to promote the Candice Miller BS? Do you know her? and vote for her? Why does everyone forget about the Niagara Falls? How much water drains naturally everyday from Lake Michigan, Huron, and Erie due to natural causes (Niagara Falls). Water levels are low due to the last few years being very dry. The Army Core of Engineers try to help and make sure water levels are high enough for commercial ships, not lower it.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigboat28
They sure did not eat much two summers ago.
Don't think Asian Carp where in the lakes 2 years ago, although I heard they have been finding DNA from them in the lake recently. Lets hope 2 years from now water levels are what we are worried about, and not low water AND flying fish )-;
Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

And lets not forget about the Snake Head fish that may also be invading the Great Lakes.
Attached Thumbnails Water Levels?-snakehead_fish.jpg   Water Levels?-snakehead-141b.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.