Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Looking for advice on new sleds >

Looking for advice on new sleds

Notices

Looking for advice on new sleds

Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I just bought a Yamaha Nitro and I LOVE it. I would never go back to a 2 stroke. Yes it's a little heavier but I'm very pleased with the suspension and the power is great. It has 135 hp and gets up & goes. I really like the riding position too. I took it to the trails several times this winter and it performed great. My whole thing is reliability and with Yamaha, you can't beat it.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
It does all depend on your riding style. I ride alot of Canada and open running trails, and I can tell you that no 800 Ski Doo is keepeing up with my Turbo. It is even great in the tighter trails. All kinds of sleds are made for all the different riders out there. Trying them and seeing which one fits best is the way to go, but without that option it can be tough. 4 strokes are gaining a larger part of the market. Even Ski Doo came out with a 3rd 4 stroke engine last year. 4 strokes also hold their value very well. I love the performance, mileage and ease of the 4 stroke. If riding a lot of tight trails, than a lighter 2 stoke might be in order.
You are correct about riding them all, everyone has a different style. I have a motocross back ground, so my style is different than most. If I rode Canada I would be on an 1100 turbo, no question. But for the same I do most of my riding in southern tug hill and tug hill, the turbo doesn't have a chance against my XRS in that area, even an RR version. You should really try a skidoo R-motion suspension with the KYB-40 shocks. There is not a bump or whoop on the trail that will make you slow down. Full throttle acceleration and hard breaking through huge bumps and the sled still tracks straight.

The skidoo 1200 4 stroke in stock form is a turd. And all four strokes still suffer from balance and transfer issues compared to a 2 stroke in bumpy trails,
Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4bus
You are correct about riding them all, everyone has a different style. I have a motocross back ground, so my style is different than most. If I rode Canada I would be on an 1100 turbo, no question. But for the same I do most of my riding in southern tug hill and tug hill, the turbo doesn't have a chance against my XRS in that area, even an RR version. You should really try a skidoo R-motion suspension with the KYB-40 shocks. There is not a bump or whoop on the trail that will make you slow down. Full throttle acceleration and hard breaking through huge bumps and the sled still tracks straight.

The skidoo 1200 4 stroke in stock form is a turd. And all four strokes still suffer from balance and transfer issues compared to a 2 stroke in bumpy trails,
I too rode motocross for years and even had a supercross track built on my property. Maybe that is why I like nicer trails now! lol My body went through it enough then! I am a big guy 6'6" and 260lbs so the weight of the Turbo I like. I can throw it around and it takes the abuse when I ride it hard in the messy stuff. Then when on the lake it has some incredible legs....

On a side note, I plan on maybe trying to have the boat poker run on Sacandaga again this summer. I will let you know if I do. You should get some boats together and come out to our pond with or without the run.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with on the 1100 turbo, yea its a heavier sled due to the engine, but in the procoross chassis it handles lighter than it is, it is great in the tight twisties and has incredibly legs for straights, I have yet in all my 3,800 miles I put on this chassis have had some one in a lighter 2 stroke get close enough and attempt to pass, and 75% or more of my riding is tight trails.
I rode the Yamaha Viper like I said, and I think its an awesome set up, but after spending time on the 1100 turbo which will stretch your arms at any speed when you hit the throttle, I found the Viper to be a bit more laxed on the climb from 50 mph up, which if I didn't spend so much time in the 1100 turbo I may not of even noticed.
It seems some will tell you what not to buy with out any experience the the model.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JWoolever
I am with on the 1100 turbo, yea its a heavier sled due to the engine, but in the procoross chassis it handles lighter than it is, it is great in the tight twisties and has incredibly legs for straights, I have yet in all my 3,800 miles I put on this chassis have had some one in a lighter 2 stroke get close enough and attempt to pass, and 75% or more of my riding is tight trails.
I rode the Yamaha Viper like I said, and I think its an awesome set up, but after spending time on the 1100 turbo which will stretch your arms at any speed when you hit the throttle, I found the Viper to be a bit more laxed on the climb from 50 mph up, which if I didn't spend so much time in the 1100 turbo I may not of even noticed.
It seems some will tell you what not to buy with out any experience the the model.
I agree with the light feel. It doesn't feel as heavy as it is in the procross chassis and people are surprised when they can't catch me in the twisties either. I had a 2011 Turbo as well and it did feel heavier in the trails, but this Procross chassis is completely different. I have the non turbo version as well for the girlfriend - spare and it is a great sled, but nothing earth shattering to ride. Mine does have the Turbo Dynamics program etc in it and so far I love it (3500 miles). Nothing like feeling the pull of a boosted 4 stroke. And it is very nimble in the trails as well. I have had F8's, D&D F1000's, etc.. and after riding this Turbo would not go back to a 2 stroke for my main sled. My buddy has the new Viper (a yamaha guy) and he rode mine this winter and he already spring ordered a new Turbo for next year. He still swears at me for having him try my sled. He said he was very happy with his until he tried mine. lol

Last edited by EvilTwin; 04-01-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 12meter joe
How are guys getting frostbite? Open face with googles? I wear full shield helmets and never really had issues with fogging or icing. I. Can't imagine ridding with open face in the middle of the night -20 degrees going 80mph! That's just me though.
He has face helmet (BRP Modular). The problem is the windshield is SO low that with wind from it hits you right smack dab in the center of your chest and up. Between the wind coming up threw the bottom of the helmet and where ever else it is coming in his left cheek got bit.

Compaired to mine 04 (04-05)Renegade the wind from the whield lands right around the center of my helmet.
Originally Posted by 12meter joe
I wear full shield helmets and never really had issues with fogging or icing..
When is it 32 degrees and frezzing rain we had a problem with icing in Hurley, Wi this year . Went 5 maybe 10 miles after the first bar(Mercer) and said F*** that lets sit in the bar till it turns to snow. Couldn't see crap threw our shelds
Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doo all the way, there is a reason there is alotta yellow out there!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88242LS
doo all the way, there is a reason there is alotta yellow out there!
Your right. There are more Chevy cavaliers out there than Ferraris so guess I should get rid of the Ferrari and get a cavalier. I will also get rid of the Rolex and get me a timex. It must be better.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, I guess the same logic does not always apply, thanks evil!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:59 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Your right. There are more Chevy cavaliers out there than Ferraris so guess I should get rid of the Ferrari and get a cavalier. I will also get rid of the Rolex and get me a timex. It must be better.
You are opinionated !

We all know Polaris rules !

ha,ha,ha,ha,ha - joking.....kind of...lol.

BTW: I'd love to have 1100 Turbo and 800 Pro-R !

Just like I'd love to have a 31 DCB Widebody, a 50ft Cig, a big toon, and a small CC.

No vehicle does it all.....most of us get what makes us most happy within our budget.

That depends on where we ride (boats or sleds) and what means most to us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.