Looking for advice on new sleds >

Looking for advice on new sleds

Notices

Looking for advice on new sleds

Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Looking for advice on new sleds

I know, i know, thinking about this probably makes most of you sick to your stomach but i need advice. Alright, I know it's almost boating season (here) and has been other places but, I have two weeks before I snow check a new sled. Here are my two options. Yamaha viper ltx (137") or the ski doo renagade x 800 (137"). I have been a die hard yamaha fan my whole life but, I have been out of the sled scene for a few years and after this past winter, I will not sit around like that again. I haven't even been on the newer rider forward style sled so I really am going into this blind, besides for knowing yamaha has always been reliable and a nice machine. I am an aggressive trail rider that occasionally likes to hop off into some powder too. I know some of you guys are die hard sled rippers!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think either chassis is a good choice, the Yamaha is the Arctic Cat procross chassis which came out in 2012 and a couple years earlier in Snocross, it is a great chassis for trails, light weight comfortable and very maneuverable, also comes with a 3 tear warranty.

Some nice things about the 4 stoke is no need for 2 stroke oil and no oil smell, the engine appears to be very very reliable, same engine as the Nytro.

For all out top end the 800 is going to be faster due to more hp,, the Viper is closer to a 2 stroke 600 hp., the Viper engine is for quick and peppy and a riot to ride, I have ridden it a couple time during demo's, have the same chassis in a Arctic Cat turbo.

I have no seat time on the doo.

I place to explore for more info is http://www.hardcoresledder.com/index.php
Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Registered

Thanks jwool I appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:13 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

A lot of people jumping over to Polaris last few years. They are making some killer stuff right now !

Too bad you didn't get a chance to try a few sleds this winter.

Anyhow, I guess it really depends on how aggressive of a rider you are and what type trails you are on. That said, I don't know of any real agressive riders in my area with Yamaha's. Just older bigger mile riders that go out for a few days on time.

Lots of good sleds out there from all manufacturers currently.

Last edited by SB; 03-30-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Registered

I know I hate making purchases without being able to test them out but I thing I'm leaning towards the renegade for the type of riding we do. When it gets rough we run harder.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with ya Joe. It's been a couple years for me too and I'm looking again. A few buddies who are hard-core sledders have ridden the new Viper and were more than impressed. The old heavy 4-stroke for old men theory is gone.
" That said, I don't know of any real agressive riders in my area with Yamaha's. Just older bigger mile riders that go out for a few days on time."
But every other brand seems to know what a Yamaha looks like from the back, because they just go without looking like you are racing, and they keep going! It would make it nice if you could test drive them like a car, especially since they cost about as much.

Keep us updated--with pics
Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Renagade x 800 all the way. Snow check it and get the 4 yr warranty to boot this year! A fellow rider snow checked one last year, got on about 1k miles this season. Only complaint was the low windshield. His cheek got frost bit a couple times pretty bad. Or get the new 174" if you really want to play in the powder. I dont think the new 174 would even fit on my trailer!!

You dont want a YamaCat.....
Old 03-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've ridden both chassis and basically had the same decision you are about to make this year. Personally, I am in LOVE with 4 strokes...between both my wife's Yami Vectors, and now my 1200 Doos, I have almost 20,000 trouble-free miles on them since 2008.

Rode the Viper LTX and really liked it...the suspension works REALLY well, and it handles a lot lighter than it actually is. I was coming off a 2010 Doo 1200 TnT (121"), and am very partial to the handling on the Doo, but I REALLY like the Viper/Vector motor...that thing just rips...awesome throttle response and a big powerband for only 135 hp. I rode a buddy's 2013 1200 Renegade with the R-motion rear, and was WAY impressed. I decided to go with the 1200 Renegade for myself, just because it cornered better than the Yammi (it pushed a bit in the corners...could be setup, but I've read a lot about people having to add a bunch of carbide to make them turn...typical Yammi). I really love the sled...BUT, I think I might end up buying the Viper next season for my wife...so I can have fun on either one!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:38 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info fellas. Man, this is gonna be a tough decision. I wish I would have had the chance to ride them but, the opportunity never came, not to mention I waited too long to decide on getting one.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

i have a 2013 800 etec r motion renegade and love it. my buddy has the 2014 800 etec X pkg renegade and i couldnt believe how much better it rode over my 2013 non X pkg. i vote SKIDOO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.