Beware of Progressive insurance

Notices

Beware of Progressive insurance

Old 02-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of Progressive insurance

This thread is for all who have or are thinking about getting Progressive insurance.
I have been in the marine business for over 20 years and I have never seen an insurance company work so hard to deny a claim as they do. Here is a quick version of just the last two insurance claims that have come through my shop.

First was a 2006 Baja 36 that tad hit something under water hard enough to knock a blade off the prop and destroy the upper gears and housing. The prop shaft was not bent though.
The adjuster came out looked at it and said that because the shaft was not bent it could not have hit anything so he denied the claim. The customer complained and an independent adjuster came out and agreed that it hit something. We had already put an estimate together and submitted it. They would only pay 50% of the cost less the deduct. and allowed 150.00 to have a new blade put on the prop. I guess he got off good.

Next is a 21’ bay boat with a 200 outboard that hit a floating log which broke the steering cable and cracked the transom. They sent an adjuster out to look at the boat and here is what they said word for word: We have completed our investigation into the above captioned loss wherein you reported that your 1999 Bayquest boat sustained damage to the transom and steering on or about Dec. 1 2007. Our investigation into this matter has revealed that damages were due to a structural breakdown of the transom and do not meet the definition of a loss under you policy. (Not covered)

Specifically, your policy with Progressive Gulf Insurance Company #XXXXXX form 2649 edition 02/06 pages 22-23 of your policy under EXCLUSIONS, it states in part as follows:

9. Caused directly or indirectly by:
A. wear and tear
B. gradual deterioration of any king including, but not limited to, weathering, rust, corrosion, mold, wet or dry rot, osmosis, delaminating or blistering.
C. mechanical, electrical or structural breakdown,
D. any manufacturing or latent defect;
E. insects, animals, vermin or marine life.

I can tell you that the transom was not rotten; it was nice clean cracked wood and glass.
I have many more stories , but I don’t feel like typing .
They might have cheep rates but when you need them good luck.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.

I have Progressive because they are the only ones who would insure my boat for less than $2500 per year. IT`s a 1992 and books out at $17000
Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

seems like the norm these days. More time spent finding creative ways to not cover you. Its funny i'm 41 and have never had a claim of any kind, ever, and no ins. company has ever said anything about that while getting a quote but they sure can find plenty of reasons to justify a high premium.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I wanted to post this in general so more people would see it but didn't want it pooooofed!
Old 02-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Registered

Peter Lewis owns progressive. Maybe the reason he won't pay claims is because he uses your premium dollars for the following:
The 70-year-old Lewis holds the distinction of being the second-largest donor during the ’04 election cycle to the non-party groups known as “527s” (after a section of the tax code that permits these huge donations). In fact, Lewis donated nearly $23 million to such organizations, including $16 million to the Joint Victory Campaign (created by combining the three largest 527s dedicated to President Bush’s defeat), $2.9 million to America Coming Together (ACT), and $2.5 million to Move On.Org. He is a close friend and associate of the billionaire financier George Soros.
Lewis has not granted interviews, is rarely photographed, and, writes Jane Mayer in the New Yorker, “spent much of 2004 discreetly directing millions of dollars to liberal groups allied with the Democratic Party . . . while cruising the Mediterranean Sea on his two-hundred-and-fifty foot yacht, Lone Ranger.”In addition to his anti-Bush efforts, Lewis is particularly interested in the cause of marijuana legalization
Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Progressive and had a claim a few months ago. IT turned out OK.. Memebers should read the rest of Progressive threads. It seems the problem is with ceartain areas and adjusters. I guess I was pretty lucky, but you can't argue with a claim when the boat is upside down on the highway..
Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 years ago my boat was insured through Progressive. Been boating for 30 years. Then one day my boat was stolen and recovered the next day completely Stripped Out!!

I fought with Progressive for 6 Months and lost my ASS. By the time I was done it cost me $15,000.00 to settle Claim.
They treated me like a CRIMINAL

So good luck to anyone that has to make a Major Theft Claim with Progressive.

PS> The very first thing Progressive did was go through the the Policy. They we're looking for any loop holes in the Policy in reference to how the boat was used and how it was insured. If THEY found any questionable difference's in the Policy and use of boat, THEY would have DENIED the claim no question's asked.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

A friend and his 4 buddies loaded their Harley's into a trailer & towed to Sturgis with an Excursion. They loaded the bikes to far to rear and it got squirley every so often, switched drivers and rig flipped out. As they were all buds, all had bike insurance thru Progressive.
Progressive dispatched local guy to accident sight who cut checks immediately. Later when additional damage was discovered, Progressive cut additional checks.
I don't doubt other have had diferent experiance, but don't believe any insurance co is your "friend"

On boat coverage, if I hit bottom and damaged drive, that was my dumb fault. It would not occur to me to turn in to insurance.
I want then to stand up if theft, fire or accident occurs.