2018 SML Poker Run

Notices

2018 SML Poker Run

Old 11-29-2019, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by waterplay
I will look you guys in the spring. How are typical weekends during the summer on the James? Many performance boats?
I do not run much up beyond the James River bridge since I am down in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Hampton Roads area but it is a nice body of water with a good amount of traffic. I would think there are a good number of performance boats coming out of Richmond hanging out. I am going to try running up there more this summer (hoping to anyway).

Down here there are a number of performance boats running around, but not as many as there used to be. I'm hoping that'll change some in the coming seasons. My buddy Wayne and I (Hollowpoint here on OSO) run our boats together most of the summer. Our range is from the Virginia Eastern Shore all the way down into Coinjock, NC. Lots to do around here!
Old 11-29-2019, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by badmonkey

Tom, when is the James River Fun Run? That river is just awesome.

Chris
Chris, I think it generally happens early to mid August. There's a Facebook page for the fun run that has all the information when available.

The fun run is a total blast and cheap! Only big costs are fuel and hotel (and alcohol... haha). Great bunch of people and a good number of really cool boats! You should cruise on down for it!
Old 11-29-2019, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ive never liked the time of year they do the pr at sml.ive only been in it one time.this year I got in the water late,rode around just looking to see other boats for about an hour and hardly seen anyone.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Chris, I think it generally happens early to mid August. There's a Facebook page for the fun run that has all the information when available.

The fun run is a total blast and cheap! Only big costs are fuel and hotel (and alcohol... haha). Great bunch of people and a good number of really cool boats! You should cruise on down for it!
Tom, I don’t Facebook so stay in touch regarding this run. We did jammin on the James and had a blast running the river. Have a good winter and speak soon.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by waterplay
I will look you guys in the spring. How are typical weekends during the summer on the James? Many performance boats?
Like the other guys said, not as many as their used to be. However, some guys come down from Hopewell/Richmond area. Some boats on the Chickahominy River. Can hang out at Clay Banks on the James, Little beach on the Chick, Shoal Bay on the James near the Ghost Fleet. There is also a few restaurant stops around/near the James as well. My favorite being Decoys which is right off the James, Smithfield Station is good, Surry Seafood, Blue Heron on the Chickahominy River. Also, can run all the way to Richmond and eat at Conch Republic. The Richmond ride is a nice scenic ride and something different.