Sea Strainer Install >

Sea Strainer Install

Notices

Sea Strainer Install

Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do know where it should be located versus the water pump etc. however the 1 1/4" steel cored hose required on the suction side of the water pump is not at all flexible and does not come with molded in bends like radiator hose. So I am curious how and where in the boat one would plumb the sea strainer to accomodate that fact and tap into the water intake hose between the transum and the water pump on a Merc 496HO/Mag closed cooling system which also has an air pressure actuated sea water drain valve assembly hooked up to the water intake hose in that same location. It is very a busy location

Has anyone ever done it on a Merc 496HO/Mag closed cooling system may be a better question?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is like this: Mounted to the transom

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Sea Strainer Install-sea-strainer.jpg  
Old 04-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill,
The way Chris has it is how I've done all Nordics. The fact you have a 496HO makes no difference as the water enters the boat and motor the same. If you have the red snap on hose pull it off and put in some 1-1/4 flex (one wire) hose and set it on the floor just as Chris has diagramed it.
Dave
Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Bill,
The way Chris has it is how I've done all Nordics. The fact you have a 496HO makes no difference as the water enters the boat and motor the same. If you have the red snap on hose pull it off and put in some 1-1/4 flex (one wire) hose and set it on the floor just as Chris has diagramed it.
Dave
That's the spot..............
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Sea Strainer Install-boat-pics-003-small-.jpg  
Old 04-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Nordicflame
Bill,
Dave
Thanks Dave and Chris. This solves my issue regarding what flexable 1 1/4" plumbing will tolerate suction and how to use it to make the tight bends to fit a sea strainer between the transum inlet and the air operated drain valve.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
That's the spot..............
Steve
Thanks Steve. I see it there in the lower left corner floor mounted. Looks like you have the heavy wall steel reinforced hose on the inlet side with a 45 degree fitting in the strainer. Can you tell me what hose and fitting in the strainer is on the outlet side?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
Mine is like this: Mounted to the transom

Chris
Thanks for the reminder that the 600sci and other Merc motors also have the same closed cooling system. Did you use the single wire flexible 1 1/4" hose Dave mentioned to connect up your strainer as you diagramed or other?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Rage,

Yes

Chris
Old 04-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Thanks Steve. I see it there in the lower left corner floor mounted. Looks like you have the heavy wall steel reinforced hose on the inlet side with a 45 degree fitting in the strainer. Can you tell me what hose and fitting in the strainer is on the outlet side?
Bill,
The same hose (1 1/4") and 45o fitting. 45os allowed me easier hose alignment.......
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.