Sea Strainer Install >

Sea Strainer Install

Notices

Sea Strainer Install

Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rage
Thanks Steve. I see it there in the lower left corner floor mounted. Looks like you have the heavy wall steel reinforced hose on the inlet side with a 45 degree fitting in the strainer. Can you tell me what hose and fitting in the strainer is on the outlet side?
Bill,
The same hose (1 1/4") and 45o fitting. 45os allowed me easier hose alignment.......
Steve
Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
Bill,
The same hose (1 1/4") and 45o fitting. 45os allowed me easier hose alignment.......
Steve
Thanks Steve.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you get some time I'd like to know what prompted you to do this, a list of stuff necessary along with approximate costs and how difficult the install was.

I have the same boat with a stock 496 ho and I boat in shallow water. I think I'm due to replace the pump itself because a new impeller doesn't keep engine temp cool enough at wot.

Thanks much!

Last edited by XX14; 08-07-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bill,
I hope you got this worked out. My setup is different than yours because I have an open system, but maybe this will be of some value.
I run an Imco lower, which will send your water pressure through the roof. It is not a bad thing if you manage it. Just a heads up because I have blown head gaskets and water pump housings before we adjusted my cooling system to it.
Step 1 is to use the Merc, or another water pressure relief to dump excess water above 30PSI. I am also using my raw water system to cool the drive shower, and I am taking water off the back end of the intake manifold on both sides. I have a Teague strainer on the intake line before the water pump housing. My pump impellers seem to last longer with this setup, and my oil temps are reasonable at WOT, like 190. Very cool at cruise, like 120/140. My sender is after the cooler.
I have run the DWP XR lower. It takes care of excess water pressure by just bleeding the excess out of the side intakes at high speed. If you think about it, for Mercury that's a good thing becuse hulls and X dimensions are different. The IMCO SC lower is faster, but it does create high water pressure. Not a bad deal if you manage it properly.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 08-08-2013 at 01:33 PM.