best boating Albany area >

best boating Albany area

Notices

best boating Albany area

Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default best boating Albany area

What is the best place to live for a performance boater in the Albany area. It has to be an easy commute to Albany. Sacandaga is too far. Ive seen places on the hudson by lock 1, the mohawk river and saratoga lake. There doesnt seem to be any thing south of the locks unless you go way south were there doesn't appear to be much of anything.
How is the Mohawk river? I've only kayaked in it. Are the locks to the Hudson a PITA? Trying to trade the nor-tech for something smaller for up there.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Prob Lake George.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That NorTech is perfect for the River. There is a good ramp in Troy I think its a little south of the lock and its a 45 min. run in your boat to Kingston which is a cool place with lots to do (Rondout Creek). 15 min farther south is Poughkeepsie, nice new place there on the water with great docks, can't remember the name. Another 15 min south your at the Newberg Water Front, many places & docking there. 20 min. farther south your by me in the Haverstraw area then Terrytown and on to NYC. Great boating and plenty of good stops along the way.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Registered

The Hudson is a great place to boat.Never been through the locks though.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JamesGang
That NorTech is perfect for the River. There is a good ramp in Troy I think its a little south of the lock and its a 45 min. run in your boat to Kingston which is a cool place with lots to do (Rondout Creek). 15 min farther south is Poughkeepsie, nice new place there on the water with great docks, can't remember the name. Another 15 min south your at the Newberg Water Front, many places & docking there. 20 min. farther south your by me in the Haverstraw area then Terrytown and on to NYC. Great boating and plenty of good stops along the way.
Thanks for the info. I would like to keep the boat on a lift. Its a litle big to be constantly launching everytime i want to go for a quick run. Do you know how long does it take to get through the locks from the Mohawk to the Hudson. I cannot find any places on the Hudson south of the locks.