380 shift problems bravo xz drive >

380 shift problems bravo xz drive

Notices

380 shift problems bravo xz drive

Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 380 shift problems bravo xz drive

Guys, that 380 we picked up a few weeks ago shifts pretty hard. I am going to pull the back plates off and take a look at the detents. I also want to lube up all the moving parts from the levers back. Any one have a diagram so I make sure I get everything. Also what do you lube the detents with, are they not in the drive lube, I have never pulled a back plate off, but I am sure it is pretty self explanatory once I get it off.

My understanding is shift lever to a cable that runs back to the transome plate few moving parts there, then a rod going to the back back plate with a few moving parts under there, sound about right?

Never mind answed my own questions http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...be-points.html just had to search a different way.

Thanks Boatnt.

Last edited by Questofpower; 06-21-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

the detent ball/spring assembly is not in lube,,its in a dry cavity...you do have to drain the oil on the outdrives,,then remove the 3 bolts and the rear cap comes off,,,remove the spring assembly and and with your thumb push it in against the spring to break it loose,,, i use the merc green lubricant I think it merc 2-4-C
Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Registered

Thanks that was the lube I was guessing just wanted to make sure.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered

Definitely the detent, shifts much easier now. Also took a little slack out of the cable on the engine plate. Not a bad job at all, about an hour start to finish. Just a little scared to open the magic black box up, but not anymore.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Questofpower
Definitely the detent, shifts much easier now. Also took a little slack out of the cable on the engine plate. Not a bad job at all, about an hour start to finish. Just a little scared to open the magic black box up, but not anymore.
Not only does it shift into gear great, on the shakedown cruise we played with the drives and who would have thought that this boat likes a lot of trim to reach top speed. Full trim of 9 on the indicators and 5100 rpm reached 76, any less trim slowed the boat.