Need a hub education >

Need a hub education

Notices

Need a hub education

Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a hub education

What is a Flow Torque Hub? Which is preferable this or a solid hub? Twin 496 mags w/ standard Bravos. Did a search and didn't find much info.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jmeng, I got the same education this spring...
...now that there are different size drive shafts, (i.e. the Bravo 1 is smaller than the Bravo XR, Imco, etc.) The newer style propellers have empty centers to accomodate the correct Flow Torque hub size, based on the drive you have.
If you have one of these props you can change the hub if your drive size changes and it isn't obsolete. Also, if you sell a prop like this, your potential buyer isn't limited to the same style drive you had. These work as well as solid hubs, but have more diversity. Carder
Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carder
jmeng, I got the same education this spring...
...now that there are different size drive shafts, (i.e. the Bravo 1 is smaller than the Bravo XR, Imco, etc.) The newer style propellers have empty centers to accomodate the correct Flow Torque hub size, based on the drive you have.
If you have one of these props you can change the hub if your drive size changes and it isn't obsolete. Also, if you sell a prop like this, your potential buyer isn't limited to the same style drive you had. These work as well as solid hubs, but have more diversity. Carder

Thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Flo-Torq hub systems have been around for a long time. The Flo-Torq 2 system came out in about 1997. The conception allowed competitive engine and drive maufacturers to use Mercury propellers. The system also made rehubbing your propeller consumer friendly. The break away safety hub insert went from rubber to a plastic composite known as delrin. There is also a solid version insert for performance set ups and the HD insert for the XR and IMCO ect. large 1.25" shaft sizes. Mercury recomends going to solid inserts post 400 hp. We recomend you concider solid insert after 300 hp. There is nothing more unpleasant than changing hubs in 200 ft of cold water. If you do decide to run the delrin hubs with high hp., always carry spares.

There are other issues that can arise with the Flo-Torq hub assemblies that consumers aren't always aware of. Different vintage Bravo and Mirage castings can have different depth bores. Therefore the correct insert is needed to create the correct thrust washer alignment. Consult with your propeller professional if you are unsure of any instalation isssues.

Flo-Torq 2 hub assemblies are a ingenious solution to hubbing. After all, look how every other manufacturer has adopted the idea in their own products.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

You gotter otter,

I lived through the FT1 to FT2 development first hand and I still get confussed. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger!! Some of the decisions should have been rethunk (another story).

If you have other questions, just ask, this board can answer every.......in mean most every propeller question. Or, we can find the answer.