Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
89 scarab 21 excel rebuild >

89 scarab 21 excel rebuild

Notices

89 scarab 21 excel rebuild

Old 08-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey you cant argue with simplicity i guess. I've been gathering some odds and ends for my boat. Ordered some stainless steel waterproof push buttons that are light up with red halo led lights. Some carbon fiber panels for my switch panels and possibly for my dash if I like them. I'd really love to reshape the dash but the layout is actually very functional. May not look stunning but you get all your vitals in just one glance. So we shall see on that... If anyone has any custom interior pics they want to share feel free to post them.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
I can post up a few of mine but its in a IMP. I'm almost in the same boat as you. Lol as I was gutting it and changing the seating I realized I could shave some weight as I'm out to get a good top end MPH out of my heavy resin bucket. But there are "other" materials like Pensky and Coosa. I believe they have some weight saving vs. plywood and will not damage from water. But I like your build and can't wait to see how it turns out! Wish I would have kept my Scarab CV w/ 540ci. But again I prefer stand up to sir down boltster seating. Keep up the good work!
Also if you find a 6.0 with a hurt bottom. I have a extra lq9 6.0 crank (probably needs turned) and 243 casting aluminum heads. But if it needs a rebuild most ditch the "crack" rods. I am storing my 6.0 block for my carbed 408 stroker build! ;-) car guy here too!

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 08-23-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool man! we got a competition! lol are you leaving that swim platform on?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Registered

I'm pretty dead set on a 6.0, I've seen a few for cheap but with 200K miles on them. I'd love to see what you got going on. I just went on a shopping spree at home depot and menards and dropped almost 200 on lumber. then hit up the local fabric store and got some foam. they had the ultra high end exterior foam but the stuff I pulled out of my boat lasted since 1989 and its no where near the quality of what i bought. I got some green stuff and I figure since I'm fully wrapping this in vinyl I should hold up for some time. my weakness is that I have been into the car audio world for too long and all I can think is why does this interior have to be so boring? its sad because in a car or truck a few extra pounds doesnt mean much, however in a boat adding weight... well we all know what happens then. LOL I picked up some 1/2 exterior grade berch for my main side walls. grabbed tons of stainless screws and quietly wept as i heard my total at the register. I still need to cut out my rear bulkhead between the interior and engine bay. good thing i have a nice dremel... I need to find some wood for that wall, tho i found a sheet of carbon fiber that is bullet proof... sadly its only 2500 plus shipping... I am planning on grey and dark grey with a touch of black for my interior. the white is nice but so hard to keep clean. I'm trying to find some aluminum trim pieces to set off the interior. I'm doing carbon fiber, aluminum, and stainless steel for a lot of the controls. my hatch lift switch is being replaced by two momentary push buttons. thankfully I went to school for electrical engineering since I need to wire up about a dozen relays to run everything since I'm doing away with the factory scarab PCB (printed circuit board) and their horrible surface mounted buttons. so now my lift actuator will be run by relay rather than the switch. far more reliable and less damaging on the switches. So I hope to have some nice new pieces ready for vinyl by the end of the weekend.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 250ekelly
cool man! we got a competition! lol are you leaving that swim platform on?
Yeah I'm leaving it on, I have two little kids and it makes life easier having it...lol I just wish I could see my stainless tail pipes but oh well. You got two up on me... you got your motor already and you have yours painted. I'm still hunting for my engine, and sadly I dont think I will have mine painted even next year. interior and new motor are sucking up all my extra funds...
Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea I wish I would have gone with 6.0 but I got this motor for free so cant complain. check that swim platform out good the quality of mine was horrible. all the bolts that went thru transom had small washers and had started pulling thru. few of them were leaking and were soft around them. I always liked scarabs but after buying this one im seeing the quality isn't very good. I cant speak for their big boats hopefully there made a little nicer. the chapparel I had before this was much better built.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Registered

Mine is solid as a rock I've got no soft spots on my transom so I'm lucky. Only rot is the one bulk head due to the rear seat holding crap against it. Oddly enough mine was left outside for the past few years wide open.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

My CV was somewhat similar. I would up ditching the back seat as it kept falling a part! " weight reduction right" haha. unfortunately the 540 was low compression as it was a Blower engine originally. Changed the carb from a 1050 dominator to a 850 and went from low 70.s to 75 ish from a carb change. Sold it and the buyer bought the original blower (671) ran it twice and thought you could just "nail it" well...... not with a bravo. It pretty much ripped it off and blew the drive. Some people you just can't tell em take it easy! But try SIM CARBON or the 3m Carbon for wrapping if you need too. It actually works really well and looks fantastic. Im looking to upgrade mine in the same sense you are. I can't afford my active thunder till the other toys are paid off so might as well make it as updated as possible. Im definitely subscribing to this thread. Would like to see some of your ideas coming from a electrical standpoint. I have OCD when it comes to my stuff and sounds like you do to
Old 08-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

Lol I just pulled 3 fuse boxes from a couple wrecked trucks today so now I have 20 5 prong relays to power everything. I found a place sells real carbon fiber panels for not much more than vinyl wrap. Yeah I'm a perfectionist so... doesn't help I'm an inspector for a very large company that makes big green machines. So that eye for perfection serves me well...lol. I'm trying to reinvent the wheel or ao it seems with my fuse boxes lol
Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 AM
Registered

Yeah I worry about destroying the alpha 1 with the 6.0 but i know its more about how you drive it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.