Mirage 217 -Bringing it back >

Mirage 217 -Bringing it back

Notices

Mirage 217 -Bringing it back

Old 10-19-2020, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
I towed my Mirage 217 no problem with half ton trucks over the years. I had a '04 Titan, '09 Ram Hemi, and a '16 Ram Hemi. My Mirage had a Calkins galvanized tandem axle under it. Towed really nice.

In '18 when I sold the Mirage and got a Nordic 28 Heat with a tri axle, the '16 Ram Hemi towed that no problem either, I just put air bags in the rear springs. (Now I use a 2500 Cummins to tow it)
I was actually pretty surprised, but googling "f150 tow sway" confirms I am not the only one with this issue. Like you, I had a custom galvanised trailer made for it and set up by the manufacturer and have towed at super-highway speeds without issues, the last vehicle being a '98 Durango. It lacked power but no other issues.

Anyway I am pretty hopeful the upgrades will help.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:56 PM
Registered

Anyway onto the boat. Got a call from the mechanic, the electric fuel pump is NFG, so will be ordering a new one. Hopefully that's the main culprit.The mercruiser one is apparently available so should know later this week if things go well.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:40 PM
Registered

Well the fuel pump arrived
He kinda got the engine running, but it won't idle, so more checking is in order.
Along with a few other recommended things, he is starting with checking the injectors to see if there is an issue with one or two.
Probably be a few more days before I know more
Old 11-22-2020, 01:25 PM
Registered

I had a call from the engine guy (while in the midst of setting up xmas lights) that he got all the parts last week and installed it all. Says he has it all running really nice, idling nice, no error codes. But wants me to take it out and run it up to full throttle (as opposed to the garden hose connection) to see how everything else is.

I just have to find a decent winter day and dress warm now
Old 11-22-2020, 01:28 PM
Registered

Looks like I can add pics now

After gelcoat restoration and awaiting the swim platform
Old 04-15-2021, 07:33 PM
Registered

It's been a bit of a wait for the more spring like weather here, but it finally arrived so it was time to start her up.
As promised my engine guy did a nice job. It fired up instantly and sounds good at idle.
Hoping to get some more good weather and do some in-water testing soon.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XMqpMFSYH2wgJFRQ9

Old 06-08-2023, 02:02 PM
Registered

Just thought I'd stop in and say hi and say that I'm still at it. The first couple of summers since bringing it back has been really very good overall. Not without incidents, but fun.

I bought a really poorly designed ski tube (sunk immediately when coming off idle) and scared the crap out of the grandkids, when it tipped over. Got my money back, but then on the last long trip of the summer, the bow anchor hatch (which had loose screws and degraded wood) spontaneously lifted, flipped off and ripped the hinges, in rough water, promptly sinking.

That spawned a new project. Since it was black gelcoat, I made a new hatch out of carbon fibre and PT plywood, with an integrated latch (no popping open easily) It looks really good, surprisingly.
Since the engine was serviced it's run and performed really well, but due to accumulated corrosion, some of the instruments and lighting were a little touchy.

I also noticed the bilge pump was running a few times when tied up to the buoy this summer, so probably a fitting leak or something to track down.

Two summers of mountain towing has stretched the timing chain on the F150 again, so I'll need to get that replaced for the second time. Unfortunately, my new truck is not available until the late fall.

This winter we had a heavy heavy wet snow which broke my shelter and it came crashing down on the boat when we were out of town. I expected to have to replace all the tinted tempered glass and frames, but luckily nothing was broken.

As normal, the speedo gauge got plugged from debris and also a little leaky, so have just swapped that out for an econo GPS unit, and have almost finished tackling the wire corrosion and cleaning everything up. This season will be making all the old stuff functional, then in the off-season, plan on completely reimagining the instrument cluster and navigation. Not decided on gauges yet, maybe autometer marine, maybe something else, but I want to add a chartplotter something in the 7-9" range as central to navigation.

Looking around there are a lot of amazing boats these days, but for the couple weeks each season, we are using it right now, it's hard to justify spending big bucks on a brand now boat. Considering, other than to me (as I know what it is) it's likely not worth much on the used boat market, so whatever I do, it's kind of like found money.

Then also once I retire, we might end up using it more for day cruises in the ocean nearby.
Hope y'all are having fun also.

Laying out my anchor hatch

First layer of carbon fibre

This snow-laden shelter fell about 5 feet before snapping, luckily no windscreen damage
Old 06-09-2023, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Congrats on being able to enjoy it !!!
The following users liked this post:
DougB (06-10-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default mirage 217 -bringing it back

Cool project. Good to see you are keeping with it.
The following users liked this post:
DougB (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RSCHAP1
Congrats on being able to enjoy it !!!
Originally Posted by Xcal24
Cool project. Good to see you are keeping with it.
Thanks guys.

This week I reviewed my ideas for the new updated instrument panel, with a built in chartplotter, along with ordering some new gauges to replace the ones that were slightly corroded/broken. Summer boating is approaching fast, so I don't want to undertake too much until the off-season, but I am getting a bit more energized. I'll need it, as anything boat-related is always a lot more work than one thinks it will be

Pic of the underside of the carbon fibre anchor hatch. I ended up leaving the top un-polished, as it's a little less slippery when people are hopping on and off the bow of the boat, during day-trips.

Underside of anchor hatch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.