new member- 28 foot scarab >

new member- 28 foot scarab

Notices

new member- 28 foot scarab

Old 03-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: new member- 28 foot scarab

the motor has;new block,rings,bearings,oil pump,cam,valve springsgimble bearing and many other misc parts. all was done by a shop with a very good reputation(gruninger marine) for a grand total of $6880. it has been run on a bench. but is still a little too early to dewinterize here(near st.louis, mo). it was 75 degrees this weekend. it was killin me not to take it out especially since i live on carlyle lake and heard a few boats out.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To resize a picture, download a picture editer such as "Microsoft Picture It", then open your picture with it, hit format, and use the resize option. Good luck - were waiting for the pics.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Originally Posted by lmjr77
Thats great news about your boat being back in action.
One more excell in the mix.
I never realized how many excells there were until I signed up here. I don't remember seeing any on the Hudson River where I go cruisin.
Was your motor rebuilt , new, worked ?

Do You boat on the Hudson??? If so where. I'm any where from the TZ bridge to newburg. I venture to Kinston and NYC twice a year. I still haven't ran into Scarab28 yet. There is another white 28 excel in the stony point area. We are the only three I know of on the river. It shouldn,t be hard to sopt me this year, I will be sporting #'s on the side. P5-??
Old 03-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul it is 28SCARAB we normally head north of Kingston let me know when you are coming up sometime We Try not to go south of Poughkeepsie.

Last edited by 28SCARAB; 03-14-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Registered

HOT BOAT-

I'm on the Hudson, out of Havestraw, Stony Point area.
I've been up past Gulleys and Tourches and down to NYC and Jersey. I didn't see the white one you mentioned, last summer. Going by the pictures you posted, it'll be easy to single you out( mint color scheme, looks sharp).
Where do u usually go to chill out on the river?

Louie
Old 03-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Torches & Gullies till dusk or early evening, Then we head south to High Tides next to the Indian Point. I also drive for Tantrum In his 30 AMT cat. You cant mis us in that thing. We run 100+ the whole way up.

Last season we were out of willow cove. the year befor that was Patsy bay , this year Im not sure what I,m doing.

Let me know if you need any help on the boat. I know it in and out. Post some photos

Last edited by Hot Boat; 03-15-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Registered

HOT BOAT

No kidding. Last year I was out of Belle Harbor,I think that was the name. This years slip is up in the air. I know guys in Havestraw and Napoli marina, they like the deep water all the time. No B S getting in and out with the tides. Did u dry dock or leave it in ??
This weekend I should get some pics on here.
I was checking out plexi-glass mirror for under the engine hatch and how I could attach it. One of the guys at the distributer I went to said it was pot luck on how long the backing would last due to the heat. He said over time it will bubble up, but when knowbody knows. I guess I'll have to wait until the the motor and exhaust is in to see how much clearance I have.
In one of your earlier threads you talked about securing the hull to the deck. Were you able to get access all around? What hardware did u use? How did it come out?

Louie
Old 03-17-2006, 07:24 AM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

I dry dock the boat. It makes it easier to pick it up when I head to lake George or where ever.

I cant help you with the mirror. I could tell that there use to be one on my hatch but it was broken off when I got the boat. I would be more afraid of it falling on top of the motor than anything. With the way we drive I know it would brake.

You should not have any problem with engine clearance as long if you don't have a blower, A 177 blower will fit under the hatch maybe even a 250, but any larger or if you add a inter cooler you need to cut the hatch.

As for securing the hull and deck. I replaced the rub rail and re bonded the seam. I used 1.5" machine screws all around and a 3/4" x 1/8" x 8 ft strip of aluminum behind the whole seam. The aluminum was drilled and taped and the we used nylon lock nuts behind that. You can get to 80% of the screws.

The hull is very solid , but at the same time I also replaced more than half of my stringers and bulk heads with Sea Cast. What I don't like on the boat is the helm and the cabin boor. I need to get that door to stop making noise and I just hate the helm set up. ALL And all Its a great boat, It just was not designed to do what we do with it. But It is now.

I think we are heading to the marina this weekend to pull out Tantrums AMT. I"m just not sure what day. Ill keep you posted.

Last edited by Hot Boat; 03-17-2006 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Registered

HOT BOAT

The rubrail sounds like a big project, better off getting it done now before the season starts.
The cabin door wouldn't open on mine and the lock was missing. The tracking on the bottom of the door where the mounting screws go for the rollers was split on both sides, I redrilled some new holes and got it to work. We'll see how long it lasts?
Under the pedistal seat, there's a sleeve that the seat swivels on. That sleeve is busted on both seats, I tried a Boaters World store and came up empty handed.
Still trying to figure out a way to mount the mirror under the hatch. Adhesive, build a frame, screw it on, I don't know. I might just scrap the idea.
The season is coming up fast . So much to do, so little time.
I can't wait !!
Old 03-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

I never had the factory pedestals on my boat. it had drop out bolsters when I got it. It now has high back sit down racing buckets. The Best investment I ever put in the boat.

I just pulled the cover off the boat today. Ill take some photos tomorrow.

Quick Reply: new member- 28 foot scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.