Engin Balancing Question?

Notices

Engin Balancing Question?

Old 11-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engin Balancing Question?

I picked up my short block yesterday and they gave me the balance sheet. I have no clue what it means, if this is good or bad. The sheet say balanced in HINES MICROCOMPUTER Balancer. Here is the info:

RODS Big End- 574
INSERT- 44
TOTAL= 615
TIMES RODS/THROW x2 1230
OIL- 4
ROTATING WEIGHT- 1234

PISTONS- 598
PINS- 151
LOCKS- 5
RINGS- 70
RODS SMALL END- 225
TOTAL RECIROCATING- 1049

RECIPROCATING FACTOR- 1049
JOB WEIGHT- 2283
Old 11-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Engin Balancing Question?

That is information that he needs to determine the size of the bob weights to attach to the crank while he spins it up... those are the weights of the pieces in grams. Your pistons weigh 598 grams each... the wrist pin is 151 etc etc... V-8's use the pistons, wrist pins, and connecting rods as part of the counterweight for the opposing cylinder. 90 degree V-8's have a "perfect" primary balance and an even firing order with a power pulse every 90 degrees of crankshaft rotation. There are small "secondary" imbalances that become "buzzing"....Whereas an inline 6 doesn't need bob-weights on the crank when it is spun up to test for the balance. Does that answer your question?
Old 11-06-2004, 07:47 PM
jackie-fpc

eat mny shory

Old 11-06-2004, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
90 degree V-8's have a "perfect" primary balance and an even firing order with a power pulse every 90 degrees of crankshaft rotation. There are small "secondary" imbalances that become "buzzing"....Whereas an inline 6 doesn't need bob-weights on the crank when it is spun up to test for the balance. Does that answer your question?
Reed, I think you have this backwards. A 90 degree V8 with 90 degree crank pins between pairs of cylinders is unbalanced in the primary mode, and is balanced in the secondary mode. That's why you are able to balance it with weights on the crank. The balancing done is to cancel out the rotating primary couple (rocking force), so the weights are set opposite to each other at the two ends of the crank. As you mentioned, the inline 6 is balanced in both primary and secondard modes.

Michael
Old 11-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Easiest Way To Interpret This Paper Work Is To Determine The Weight Of Your Components We Also Provide Our Customers With That Type Of Paper Work This Becomes Handy Any Time You Need To Replace Any Internal Parts And Its Also Information Needed During The Balancing Process . All V Type Engines Require Bob Weights For Balancing The Only Thing That Changes Are The Reciprocating Factor In Different Angle Engines The Only Engines That Do Not Require Bob Weights Are In Line Engines And Rare 180 Degree Crankshaft Engines Used In Ferrari And Also Very Common In Sprint Car And Drag Boat Applications And I Still Take The Time To Make Up The Weights To Get The Balance Perfect In Them Because Those Engines Are Very Hard On Main Bearings. Hope That Answers Your Question Easier Laz Mesa
Old 11-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
Reed, I think you have this backwards. A 90 degree V8 with 90 degree crank pins between pairs of cylinders is unbalanced in the primary mode, and is balanced in the secondary mode. That's why you are able to balance it with weights on the crank. The balancing done is to cancel out the rotating primary couple (rocking force), so the weights are set opposite to each other at the two ends of the crank. As you mentioned, the inline 6 is balanced in both primary and secondard modes.

Michael
When I say primary balance... I'm talking about an assembled engine with pistons and rods installed. When I mentioned secondary imbalances.. those are the minor ones caused by the rod angulation. We are both in agreement on the balance of a 90 degree crankshaft... we're just using differing words to describe it....
Old 11-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MESA BALANCING
The Easiest Way To Interpret This Paper Work Is To Determine The Weight Of Your Components We Also Provide Our Customers With That Type Of Paper Work This Becomes Handy Any Time You Need To Replace Any Internal Parts And Its Also Information Needed During The Balancing Process . All V Type Engines Require Bob Weights For Balancing The Only Thing That Changes Are The Reciprocating Factor In Different Angle Engines The Only Engines That Do Not Require Bob Weights Are In Line Engines And Rare 180 Degree Crankshaft Engines Used In Ferrari And Also Very Common In Sprint Car And Drag Boat Applications And I Still Take The Time To Make Up The Weights To Get The Balance Perfect In Them Because Those Engines Are Very Hard On Main Bearings. Hope That Answers Your Question Easier Laz Mesa
I'm aware of the 180 degree crankshafts that Ferrari uses. They were also used in Offenhauser engines. But... and this is a But as big as Jennifer Lopez's... Even though the throws are set at 180 degree intervals. The cylinders are still opposed by 90 degrees and there is a power pulse every 90 degrees like in a Chev engine. The difference is the firing order, Also in the way the engine is balanced.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris is that a short block from Dyno flow?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dyno
Chris is that a short block from Dyno flow?
Yes it is. I was surprised, no extra "hidden" costs, the price they quoted is the price out the door.
Attached Thumbnails Engin Balancing Question?-e2.jpg  
Old 11-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what did you buy? I've been looking at there stuff for a couple of years but was waiting for someone else to take the plunge....guess your it!Lets here about your combination heads,intake...????are you going to dyno it?did you check any of the clearances? I think I'd have to grab some plastigage and check a few before I threw the pan on.

Quick Reply: Engin Balancing Question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.