Mobile1 28 Skater

Notices

Mobile1 28 Skater

Old 09-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of people have not tried the foot throttle in a boat thing and I've said it for years, boating is a "monkey see monkey doo" world. Everyone thinks that a race boat needs a throttle man as Bobby Moore convinced someone back in the late 60's that it was necessary and he was 100% correct as boating is the only sport one can walk in with a blank check and be at the top of the sport with little to no experience and those guys need someone to hold their hands.

However, back in the pleasure boat world, that is not the case. I know they don't sit down as much, but when was the last time you saw a throttle person on a pleasure V? It's a 90% one man show, yet the same cannot be said for catamaran's. Why? I want a race boat syndrome...

I just closed a deal on a new 30' Skater today and there will not be a center console solely due to the fact like Dale stated, it's in the way of getting into the seat. This customer is not getting a foot throttle, yet he considered it.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful boats Dale. Bring the 28 to the Fl Keys to play this winter
Old 09-19-2014, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 545 Likes on 330 Posts

congrats Rik!

will this be a new build of Skater 30, or is there one already built at the factory for the customer?

please share pics of the 30 during its build/rigging steps.

perhaps a new thread by either you or the new owner, don't wanna hijack this awesome Mobil-1 thread.

Last edited by noli; 09-19-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree with the above coments. My last few boats and twin had foot throttle and it's second nature to me now. My buddies 28 skaters I've been in, I see them muscling the wheel with one hand and the other hand on the sticks. Made no sense to me whatsoever. To each there own. This is going to be a pleasure boat for me, and I want a hot foot and shifters to my right. It makes sense to me.

Jr.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Registered

I've been using foot throttles in my boats since 1986. Been a foot throttle in every boat since then. Some people ask how a foot throttle could work good in offshore use. Several offshore racers I know use nothing but foot throttles. If you think about it the best synchronizing of throttle and steering your going to have is by one person.
No other racing format that I can think of uses hand throttles. Off-road races can be just as brutal as offshore racing and I've never seen an off road vehicle that doesn't have a foot throttle.
As others have said it's entirely up to the boat owner and his preferences.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Power steering solves all these issues! In my opinion. I added Verado power steering to my 28 and one finger (really one hand) to anything but docking and that is now a breeze! I just makes sense. My trim is on the dash and on the throttles. However, my boat is so set up that I leave the trim neutral then, trim down above 100. Guys give me your opinions. I am new at the "go fast cat" thing but I draw from my life of racing cars and motorcycles. I just want it to feel that it is second nature and natural like when I don't even know that I am going fast and all is just flowing!. David.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Registered

Ok so bear with me as I'm unfamiliar with all of the power steering options. I have a Capilano helm, can't use the SeaStar power assist. The others I've looked into have to use a power steering helm like an inboard uses.
So can the verado power assist be used witha Capilano helm?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree one time ,Its all what you feel comfortable with , I have run both foot throttles an my current set up with hand throttles
if your on an off the gas a lot in large waves my arm can take a lot more then my ankle can !!Just my 2 cents
Old 09-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Onetime, You are correct you need a CharLynn valve type helm to use with a true, full time power steering system like a Verado or like inboards use. The SeaStar type are "on demand' type that sense a load and then apply power. I thought that the SeaStar was compatible with the Capilano helm though. The change to a different helm is not all that expensive or difficult. Paul Everett supplied all the parts for me. I can provide to you, the list of parts and costs if you like. How abut motorcycle racing using hand throttles???

Last edited by Taboma; 09-20-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Taboma
Onetime, How abut motorcycle racing using hand throttles???
Seriously!! Now that's funny!

I contacted Teleflex and their on demand pump does not have enough volume to support a Capilano helm. It was designed for SeaStar helms. Didn't know if the Verado used the CharLynn system or not. Since my Capilano helm is new I'm not ready to change out yet. Maybe down the road. I've spoken to Imco about it as I'm using their rams. I can use everything I have except the helm. Need to get the CharLynn helm, two more hoses and the pump unit. Just not ready to do that yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.