Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Skater
New 318 Flatdeck Widebody Outboard build. >

New 318 Flatdeck Widebody Outboard build.

Notices

New 318 Flatdeck Widebody Outboard build.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed.

Can someone post a pic of a widened flat decked 30 with twin OB's

BTW, congrats on the build.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't think there were any yet.
Craig
Old 11-22-2014, 09:41 AM
VIP Member

Yea LA I didn't think so but you never know. Would be fun to be the first. Problem is you're kinda go in blind. Because the deck windshield and wide body you never know whats gonna happen in the end. Should be interesting anyway. Nice haven the transom strengthened for trips or maybe those rumored merc 400s. How about really wishful thinking and triple 400s. Now that would be wonderful. Not sure if it would be possible as they don't exist yet. Steve
Old 11-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Nastybug
Hey LA, Not sure how many 308 flat deck wide body boats have been built before this. I know not many. Haven't been able to confirm that info. You have any idea how many are out there? Steve.
I'm pretty sure yours will be the 1st. Cause you essentially have a 338 without the bussel for obvious reason. Haha... And I know there are only 2 of those out there with #3 being built now. So ya I don't believe there are any other widened 30s.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

is there a 308 flat deck with windshield just not a wide body at havasu? . Skate built one bad ass 338...I got to see it first hand at the tickfaw 200 last year after helt purchased it! and yea some 400's would be great...of course lots of people have been waiting on that for awhile now LOL.

when is the projected finish date? be nice to see your new 308 fatboy down here at the 200!

Last edited by LAriverratt; 11-22-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

I know of 2 flat deck 308s-

1- Jimmy Johns has one with cut down windshield and 300x on it

2- one that was at 2010 Miami show with 300xs and standard windshield.

JJs windshield is like a chopped down hot rod look.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:50 AM
VIP Member

Default Finish date.

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
is there a 308 flat deck with windshield just not a wide body at havasu? . Skate built one bad ass 338...I got to see it first hand at the tickfaw 200 last year after helt purchased it! and yea some 400's would be great...of course lots of people have been waiting on that for awhile now LOL.

when is the projected finish date? be nice to see your new 308 fatboy down here at the 200!
The projected finish date is the end of March. Still have to have it delivered.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LAriverratt
HMMMMMM.... you building 308 flat deck widebody #2???
This post made me think they had been built before, my confusion. As you were.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 222 Posts

Here is the 2010 Miami 308 - it belongs to Greg Reichman and was re-rigged by Joe Abelera with triples. I don't think this boat is widened, nor do I think any of the other 30 OBs are either. I was discussing your boat with Rik yesterday, and neither one of us are sure what the outcome will be performance-wise with the widened tunnel. At the speeds you will be seeing with OB power, the lift generated by the tunnel is fairly small. Therefore, the additional weight of the widened/flat-decked/wrap-windshield boat may cancel out any benefit from the additional lift of the widened tunnel over a standard-deck/standard-tunnel 30. The lift generated by the tunnel doesn't really start doing a lot until around 120 or so, regardless of size or weight of the boat. The wide-tunnel DW32s and Victory X-Cats are super fast because their sponsons are much narrower than the 30 Skater's, not so much because of the tunnel. From what Pete told me back in '04, the widened tunnels help stability in the rough, and speed on the boats running big #s (but it is also easier to blow them over, which is why I stayed standard width for the size/speed of my boat). Proof of lift generation needing speeds of over 120 to be effective, regardless of size or weight can be seen in rotation speed of commercial airliners. Whether it's a 737 at empty takeoff weight of 90,000#s or a 747 at max takeoff weight of 800,000#s, they both rotate at around the same speeds over 120mph (140mph for the 737, 180mph for the 747), even though the 747 weighs 10X what the 737 does! You shouldn't be looking for the widened boat as a performance benefit as much as just being what you want. I talked to Pete in length about the pluses and minuses of widening the tunnel on my 30 when it was being built, and I decided to stay with the standard width. But that's what is so cool about Skaters - they're all different and unique!

And as for these 400hp performance outboards you guys keep thinking Mercury's coming out with, I keep telling you all to forget about it - it isn't gonna' happen! These same exact rumors were even hotter than they are right now back in 2004 when I started my 30 build - it didn't happen then, and it isn't going to happen now. If Mercury does release a 400hp outboard, it's just going to be a hopped-up version of the 350hp Verado (which would still suck on a Skater). If you guys want to go fast in a 30, just build it as an inboard boat.
Attached Thumbnails New 318 Flatdeck Widebody Outboard build.-img_5499.jpg  

Last edited by Skater30; 11-22-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:41 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Skater30
Here is the 2010 Miami 308 - it belongs to Greg Reichman and was re-rigged by Joe Abelera with triples. I don't think this boat is widened, nor do I think any of the other 30 OBs are either. I was discussing your boat with Rik yesterday, and neither one of us are sure what the outcome will be performance-wise with the widened tunnel. At the speeds you will be seeing with OB power, the lift generated by the tunnel is fairly small. Therefore, the additional weight of the widened/flat-decked/wrap-windshield boat may cancel out any benefit from the additional lift of the widened tunnel over a standard-deck/standard-tunnel 30. The lift generated by the tunnel doesn't really start helping until around 120 or so, regardless of size or weight of the boat. Proof of lift generation regardless of size or weight can be seen in rotation speed of commercial airliners. Whether it's a 737 at max takeoff weight of 80,000#s or a 747 at max takeoff weight of 800,000#s, they both rotate at around the same speeds (150mph for the 737, 180mph for the 747), even though the 747 weighs 10X what the 737 does! You shouldn't be looking for the widened boat as a performance benefit as much as just being what you want. I talked to Pete in length about the pluses and minuses of widening the tunnel on my 30 when it was being built, and I decided to stay with the standard width. But that's what is so cool about Skaters - they're all different and unique!

And as for these 400hp performance outboards you guys keep thinking Mercury's coming out with, I keep telling you all to forget about it - it isn't gonna' happen! These same exact rumors were even hotter than they are right now back in 2004 when I started my 30 build - it didn't happen then, and it isn't going to happen now. If Mercury does release a 400hp outboard, it's just going to be a hopped-up version of the 350hp Verado (which would still suck on a Skater). If you guys want to go fast in a 30, just build it as an inboard boat.
Hay Dale, I Get it as we've discussed it before. Mine is coming with the 300XSs obviously as there are no other options. Ill enjoy it any way I'm sure as it is my first. 101 to 96mph or so isn't that much difference in the Skater world. Being Christmas is coming and I still believe in Santa I can always hope. Ha. I have a big stocking hanging over my fireplace. All in all the wide body should look pretty cool right. Thanx Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.