Engine Data Logger >

Engine Data Logger

Notices

Engine Data Logger

Old 12-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Engine Data Logger

Hi all. Taboma suggested I post a cross-link to a topic started under electronics, http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/e...er-wanted.html

Details on the "OARS Project", and more about what we are studying is posted over there. Basically what we are testing is a wireless data logger platform to record all movement related telemetry on high speed powerboats. Specifically for compiling a database of normal operating parameters. What was suggested is adding the capability to log engine parameters flowing over the N2k network, along side the accelerometer, gyro, and GPS stream we currently capture.

While searching for Plug & Play Bluetooth-NMEA adapters, I noticed very few choice out there. Hardware or software non vendor specific, stuff we could build apps around. Then I discovered why. Joining NMEA to gain access to all the definition files isn' t cheap. Luckily a few groups have decoded a majority of messages used and created some open source code around them.

So my question to you guys, is capturing raw engine data from the N2k side of the smartcraft gateway worth perusing further?

Is there anyone with the Actisense NGT-1or other USB, BT, or WiFi connections to their N2K CANbus networks on a boat, who would like to participate in development?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Contact Double Rigged on this site. He knows more than most about electronics on this site. Cool stuff in my opinion.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:47 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

I thought you Skater guys were all about cool technology??

Did i mention you can plot all your data on Google Earth / Maps. Like acceleration rates, speed, pitch, roll, or any other value it records you can overlay.
While testing yesterday, I noticed it even recorded the vibration value of rain drops hitting the case. Super sensitive.

I need someone in warmer weather to test the prototype as is right now.

-K