Hello (Newbie here)

Notices

Hello (Newbie here)

Old 10-25-2002, 06:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Hello (Newbie here)

Boy am I glad I found this web site. I'm the proud owner of an old school 1987 30 SS w/320hp 350ci Merc. hi performance EFI motors. All dressed up in Black,Yellow,silver, and white. First off I LOVE THIS FREAKING BOAT! There are not too many Sonics up here in CT(that I know of anyway). Every time I take this thing out I get thumbs up and more than a few race offers. I've been shaking the cob webs out of her the last couple of months and after a little work this winter we should be ready to rock and roll next season. Any way I just wanted to say hello and it's good to find a place where I can virtually talk to other Sonic owners

Later
Joe
Old 10-25-2002, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Joe, Welcome to the board. I am on my second season with my 1990 30SS. I love the boat. Handles great, loves chop, and a smooth ride. I have been through some horrible mechanic problems, but now I think she is finally running right. 2 Procharged 502s, dynoed @640 HP!! She will run low 90's! Where do you boat in CT? I have a house in the East End of LI and run through the Sound every now and again.
Old 10-26-2002, 01:47 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

WELCOME!!
Old 10-26-2002, 08:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the welcome. I am in Haddam CT. boat will be in the CT river for next season, about 45 min to LI sound. I come out @ Saybrook Point. I've only owned the boat for two months so I've spent most the time on the river running up and down, tring to get to know the boat and work some of the gremlins out. She sat for 4 years after a repower, so I've had issues with the fuel systems, minor leaks on some of the morse cable penitrations in the transom, and last I've got to repair a valve train problem in the port engine. I've only got Alpha SS drives so I've got to be careful about how hard I am on them (so I've been told)I've added drive showers, remote resevors and synthetic lube in an attempt to help them live longer.
I've run as fast as 62 (GPS) on the river, with one engine not pulling RPM due to a faulty fuel pressure reg. I've repaired that but since laid the boat up for the season. It's supposed to run low 70's we'll see next season.
Maybe we can hook up next year, I'm looking forward to a good season. Oh yea how the hell can you work on those 502's I have a hard enough time just changing plugs with the small blocks. Do you have the hatch that has the rear seat built in?
One last thing does anyone else out there have these 350/320hp EFI motors? They seem to be a bit of a rarity, but they do run very well, and seem to do great on fuel.
Joe
Old 10-27-2002, 12:09 AM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! I have a 1988 30SS, replaced the alphas with Bravos and the Mag 350s with Scorpions. Invented a box, folding side arms and engine hatch fighting chair mount. All the fisherman give me the thumbs up. Check my profile web link.

The best thing you can do is toss the alpha drives, or at least switch to alpha SS drives that counter rotate.

I have been through 8 to 10 foot breakers and many storms at sea. Since I have survived, I can attest that Sonic makes great boats!
Old 10-27-2002, 06:50 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Welcome to the board!
Old 10-27-2002, 06:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the welcome CBR(like the bike?),
Thats some pretty cool stuff you fabbed up.
My 13 year old son is a bit of a fisherman, when I parked the Sonic in the driveway he was really impressed. After a couple of days he looked up to me and said "Dad this is a really awful fishing boat!" I would have to remove the arch to use your stuff,though, I feel it's one of the best styling features of the boat.
I see your into cars too, me too and bikes.
Joe
PS I was told that there are no counter rotating Alphas. Since I already have Alpha SS drives I could use one on the other side. They are off right now anyway.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:32 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Hey Joe, tell your son it IS a fishing boat. Attach some portable rod holders to the stainless steel bars on the arch and you are all set. <gg>

I like the arch also, but it is a pain when boarding stern to the docks. Mine is still sitting in the garage.

You lucked out with the alpha SS drives!! I understand you can get them counterrotating. How I am not sure. There may be a different case required. The alpha SS drives are smaller than the Bravos and hence are a bit faster.

Sonic is a great source of parts , friendly and efficient.

CBR is actually my initials, I am too chicken to get on fast bikes after my dads scare stories of his biker days.

Good luck with the boat!
Old 10-28-2002, 08:13 AM
surfacetension

Hey CBR Can anyone tell me about the Alphas, I,m looking at a 94 28SS with t/350mags and Alphas, is this a good setup or should I go to Bravo,s???? Offshore Perf has the boat and they seem to want to get off it? any advise??

Old 11-03-2002, 06:52 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Take two rightward rotation alphas, mix with carb engines, result: one awful combination for docking. With big props, the engines often stall out when the alpha drives "shift" from forward into reverse. Without counter rotating props, docking is a nightmare, add the engine stall out feature, and it is downright dangerous. I made the mistake of getting this combination and ended up ditching the works.

Hope this helps.