Inlet Etiquette? >

Inlet Etiquette?

Notices

Inlet Etiquette?

Old 09-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My inlet (apollo beach--goes from neighborhood canals to the bay) is pretty calm as inlets go so not too much drama as long as two large sailboats don't try to pass at the same time--the channel is narrow. Generally people stay on the right much like you would in a car on a public road. If a sail boat is coming in or out I generally scoot way over so they can have the deepest part of the channel. I did once see a small boat nearly sink. It was a ~16' flats boat with a small outboard. One adult man and one boy (probably 7yrs old) in it. About 3' chop, got sideways, was taking on tons of water. Another closer boat (a sport fish) got beside him on the upwind side which mostly broke the chop for the little boat. The child was hauled into the sport fish and the main in little boat made his way in without sinking by staying the shadow of the sport fish. Crazy that someone would take a boat that small out in that area and crazier still that he'd take a child with him!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
This is absolutely false. Bigger boat does not have right of way due to size only.

Here are the rules as published by the uscg and this is in fact law.

You are also always responsible for your own wake. So if it causes damage you are at fault

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent
Are you saying that if a freight barge is coming at me and I'm in a 22' boat he does not have the wright of way. Or better yet that a 300' boats wake is responsible for sinking my 6' zodiac. There are many laws that do not make sense, but I can stop a 22' boat faster than a 200' boat. As far as the jet skis jumping wakes , why do you think they are there.......to jump the wakes.......
Old 09-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Registered

ICU Thanks for your reply
It was just as I was taught.
The vessel being overtaken has a duty to hold his heading and speed or make it apparent he is willing to give way and do so in a manner which allows him continued control and eases the difficulty for the overtaking vessel who must also exercise caution in the pass as it's Capt will be responsible in a collision.
When my family elders were in a position like this they slowed until it was safe to pass and then gave them lip service for not being flexible and working with the overtaking vessel.
When I'm operating our flat bottom flounder boat with a small outboard there's no way I'm deliberately holding my line and make the Capt of the shrimp boat or a big sportfisher being placed in an awkward position to overtake me.
If there's space in the channel I know my draft is much less then his and I edge towards the shoreline holding my speed as best as possible.
When the operator of a small boat like the one mentioned earlier continues to hold his bearing down the center of the channel he needs to realize that although he's entitled to it certainly isn't fair to the boat overtaking him.
We all have equal rights to launch any vessel we choose but we must respect other boaters in a spirit of cooperation out in the drink in situations like these.
See ya
Kelly
Old 09-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

I would like to say this as well. In New York...... The biggest ass holes in the world will run you over on the roads for looking at them fun. ( don't want to get into the cab drivers) but once you hit the water almost everyone waves to each other. I believe that some people take law way to much to heart rather than respect. I would never take anyone out in a smaller boat, sail boat or anything. Mostly because I'm not a douche like that. But we all have boats for one thing. Enjoyment . Otherwise there could be a **** ton of money we didn't spend on boats for a few months of pleasure. I have 4 boys and look what I'm spending for 4 nights of pleasure. Ugh !
Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Registered

I can say that it is no where near the same on the roads vs the waterways here in the Daytona area ..boaters alway seem to be very curtius in the waterways and the local Islands ..the boat Ramos is another story ..I personally always take my time and stay to the outside of the channel ..also always give right of way to sailboats and large boats ..we have a ton of people up here that are stand up paddleboards , and always come to a no wake position in there area ..common courtesy is a lost subject in so many people ..
Old 09-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Boynton inlet was cut for intracoastal flushing, it really wasn't meant to be a navigable inlet (narrow, fast current, 18 ft FIXED bridge, etc). That being said, it is a looonnnnng way to either inlet to the north or south, mostly no wake/slow zones (12-15 miles guess). It sucks because you can't see the other side of the inlet once you enter it so once you commit you own it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUOsgXg7Gwg
Those idiots on the Jet Skis and Surf Boards should just be target practice for the guys fishing the Jetty. With shotguns. Morons.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Look I get there is an etiquette. I've grown up boating between the Chesapeake bay and now for a living. Kieth asked for the law. I presented him with the law. Now your into a tanker vs a 22ft boat your going to extremes not the situation here. However there is the narrow channel rule (yes it's in the link I posted) however the narrow channel rule doesn't apply here because both boats can only navigate within the channel. That rule applies to marked channels whereas smaller shallow draft vessels can safely operate outside the channel.

Biggest point here is if the small boat was making way the bigger boat could have slowed to get around smaller boat and still been fine.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Registered

True. I wasn't trying to stir the pot. Does the direction of current have an affect on the "law"? Do you know?
Old 09-27-2014, 04:33 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

On the western rivers and great lakes It does in that a vessel down bound with a following current is the stand on vessel and shall propose the manner of passage. That is under rule 14 down in the inland box.

I urge anyone operating a boat to read the link. It has lights, whistles(sound making devices) required and all the steering and sailing rules.

The book can be bought at any west marine.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Those idiots on the Jet Skis and Surf Boards should just be target practice for the guys fishing the Jetty. With shotguns. Morons.
To add to the excitement, kids will jump off that bridge on an outgoing tide, swim back to the beach and jump off the bridge again......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.