Inlet Etiquette?

Notices

Inlet Etiquette?

Old 09-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Inlet Etiquette?

Do many of you traverse inlets often? What is the proper etiquette or rules as far as size of craft and wave runners?

I have been boating in and out of most of South Florida's inlets for about 10 years and was put in a predicament last weekend. I live near Boynton Inlet which is probably 40 feet wide. Strong currents and usually pretty rough at the mouth. Wave runners are one thing, sometimes they jump wakes in there... senseless! But am I at fault if they fall off and hit one of them? Is this allowed?

I usually wait till I see boats leaving when going out but on the way in, it is curved so once you commit you are in there... no turning back. Then, here is the big one from last weekend... I came back in and a guy is coming in at all of 5-8MPH in a 15 foot Whaler with a 25 HP outboard against the current. I slowed down and passed him because the current is at a 45 degree angle and its hard enough to control the boat at moderate to slow speed let alone idle (and its an inlet too, why stop???). I passed him as far to the left as I could as he still drove down the middle. Of course, I was the A-Hole in a speed boat, but who is really at fault here... If it were me, I wouldnt be near an inlet in a 15 foot Skiff/Whaler. What are the rules for underpowered craft? What about size? I actually felt bad but he brought a knife to a gun fight....

What are the rules?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

We had the same issue trying to get out Inlet at Orange Beach, its a little wider but its rough and boats are running through the slop.

Well, they had a lil 15ft bass skeeter or something trying to get out. They had a large Exp Cruiser coming in as he was attempting to not sink in front of me. I passed on his left to shield him from his own stupidity and swells form the EC and informed him, he needs to get the back in the channel before he has to swim back.

You cant help them with their stupidity, just somewhat attempt not to sink them as hopefully figure out there dumbasses!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Are their even simple rules for the size of craft in an inlet?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Are their even simple rules for the size of craft in an inlet?
I've always heard that the same rules of the water still apply but simply remember to ignore them and adopt the biggest boat owns the navigable channel mindset.
This is probably all wrong but in our cuts, slews, and channels to the Gulf we live by it.
I've been on both sides of this out with the kids on skis and on board large sportfishers.
Some of the best memories I have are from Grandad and the late FIL were moments like these when they would give those guys some severe tongue lashing and some more way out offshore at the Flower Gardens where these yahoos would pilot a sub 20 footer w/single OB some 100 miles from the coast
We had some uneasy moments once or twice in a 40+ with 5' of draft
Sure wouldn't want to be aboard a dinghy like that in the Gulf with bad weather on the horizon to the north.
See ya,
Kelly
Old 09-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bigger boat always has the right of way. Unless it's a sailboat ( under sail power only) maritime law. And jet skis are 5 points if you hit them. Ten points if it sinks. I really shouldn't say that because my wife has a jet ski.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drew555
jet skis are 5 points if you hit them. Ten points if it sinks.
LMAO!!!
Thankfully we were never scored against
Sometimes I'll still have to holler at the twins (25yrs old)
"Move your dumb asses towards the shoreline"
Thanks for the good laugh

See ya,
Kelly
Old 09-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swear jet skis are like gnats. And they think boats have brakes. By me you can't even run a ski without taking a two day coarse . It didn't help. But then again there are a ton of stupid boat owner with a ton of money with giant boats they can drive worth a **** either. I just try to be as defensive as I can and pretend that no one knows where the hell there going. This way I'll stay safe.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:30 AM
Registered

Keith , I've been in and out of the inlets down there , and those inlets down there are nothing to play with ..the currents are crazy as Hell how hard and fast they run ..as far as the idiots on the jet ski's , there's nothing we can do about it. There are groups of them that are respectful and operate their machines properly , then there's idiots , and the idiots just don't care ..this is a problem in any body of water
Old 09-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Flying Skunks
Keith , I've been in and out of the inlets down there , and those inlets down there are nothing to play with ..the currents are crazy as Hell how hard and fast they run ..as far as the idiots on the jet ski's , there's nothing we can do about it. There are groups of them that are respectful and operate their machines properly , then there's idiots , and the idiots just don't care ..this is a problem in any body of water
I dont care about the jet skis. What I am really wondering about are people with 15-18 foot skiffs with 40 HP outboards. This particular day the guy had a kid on the boat and I would be horrified if the boat flipped after I passed. BUT, of course, the speed boat was the bad guy (me). I dont know what he was doing in there at 5 MPH in the first place.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew555
The bigger boat always has the right of way. Unless it's a sailboat ( under sail power only) maritime law. And jet skis are 5 points if you hit them. Ten points if it sinks. I really shouldn't say that because my wife has a jet ski.
This is absolutely false. Bigger boat does not have right of way due to size only.

Here are the rules as published by the uscg and this is in fact law.

You are also always responsible for your own wake. So if it causes damage you are at fault

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.