Question on a pontoon >

Question on a pontoon

Notices

Question on a pontoon

Old 04-29-2015, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on a pontoon

Hey all.. question on a 25" tri-toon - Harris Crowne 250 a viable boat for 33786? If you pull up 33786 on google maps it will show you the area I live in. Is that area going to be ok for a tri-toon or might it be a little rough? Better off on like a 31' Bowrider for the family? Or is a Pontoon just fine for that area?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about your area but modern tri-toon's ride amazingly well. My dad's Southbay never fails to impress people the first time they get on it. His old 25' Bently didn't ride as good but still way better than you'd expect.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmeng
Not sure about your area but modern tri-toon's ride amazingly well. My dad's Southbay never fails to impress people the first time they get on it. His old 25' Bently didn't ride as good but still way better than you'd expect.
Did he do his boating on the ocean or a lake? If you pull up 33786 you can see exacly where I am. a few people i have talked to said it will be very dangerous in a pontoon although they don't have any experience with one... and others have said it is no different than any other boat in that area.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello Figjam, l,m just a few miles south of you on Anna Maria Island. I,m in the watersports/marine repair ind.
As far as safety is concerned , a decent size pontoon will be fine as long as you choose appropriate areas to boat on the right days. You should be able to get out in the Gulf on calm days , but realize they are much more affected by wind and waves than your average boat (can make you look like a tool docking on windy days).
My issue with pontoons is the Florida climate . Salt attacks the aluminum and the sun attacks all that big cozy vinyl seating and wall to wall carpeting . Even with proper care , they seem to show the deterioration much sooner than their fiberglass counterparts.This translates into a bill that can be 2 to 3 times the amount of the cost of refurbing a normal runabout or center console. . Just my opinion, but welcome to the area ,you will love it !
Old 04-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
Hello Figjam, l,m just a few miles south of you on Anna Maria Island. I,m in the watersports/marine repair ind.
As far as safety is concerned , a decent size pontoon will be fine as long as you choose appropriate areas to boat on the right days. You should be able to get out in the Gulf on calm days , but realize they are much more affected by wind and waves than your average boat (can make you look like a tool docking on windy days).
My issue with pontoons is the Florida climate . Salt attacks the aluminum and the sun attacks all that big cozy vinyl seating and wall to wall carpeting . Even with proper care , they seem to show the deterioration much sooner than their fiberglass counterparts.This translates into a bill that can be 2 to 3 times the amount of the cost of refurbing a normal runabout or center console. . Just my opinion, but welcome to the area ,you will love it !
Wow great feedback. Thank you very much for your input. Here is a link to the boat I am interested in... you think I will have the issues you brought up?:
http://www.marinemax.com/boats/detai...max-clearwater

It has the salt water option and according to that dealer is fully salt water ready. What say you?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to be careful in the ocean. We've run his and others in the gulf and they do fine BUT once the water gets to a point where waves are breaking over the front of the boat, you're kind of phucked. Thats when all that sheet metal across the front gets torn up. It's not like a normal V hull where in a worst case scenereo you can point the bow into the waves and plow over them at a fast idle. If all your boating is in the gulf you may want to look at deck boats. Lots of people around here have Hurricane's and love them.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't speak for the salt water environment. However, tritoons are getting more popular than every. The problem that I personally have with them is that on an inland lake where I do most of my boating they are an aircraft carrier -- yes than can go relatively quick given most have large engines - but we have grand pa pulling around the grand kids on tubes or skis and they think they can turn like a Ferrari-- they can't. As a result they are the biggest pain in the bottom trying to go around an play nice with. I'm very close to Lake Michigan and I've seen these things out on the big lake. They seem to do well in moderate chop- but just like anything that float - you've got to have some common sense-- real ruff waters you probably are not going to do as well as a traditional boat - in the mild chop most likely will do fine.

For sure getting the entire neighborhood on board for drinks at sunset a pontoon is a definite plus.

all the best

3pointstar
Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
I can't speak for the salt water environment. However, tritoons are getting more popular than every. The problem that I personally have with them is that on an inland lake where I do most of my boating they are an aircraft carrier -- yes than can go relatively quick given most have large engines - but we have grand pa pulling around the grand kids on tubes or skis and they think they can turn like a Ferrari-- they can't. As a result they are the biggest pain in the bottom trying to go around an play nice with. I'm very close to Lake Michigan and I've seen these things out on the big lake. They seem to do well in moderate chop- but just like anything that float - you've got to have some common sense-- real ruff waters you probably are not going to do as well as a traditional boat - in the mild chop most likely will do fine.

For sure getting the entire neighborhood on board for drinks at sunset a pontoon is a definite plus.

all the best

3pointstar
Thanks for the feedback... I am not looking to travel far or out into the bay much at all. Probably drive the boat 2 or 3 times a week and only if the weather is nice. This boat may lead to other boats and different ideas, but for now it is just to chill out, relax and enjoy family and friends. Just want to make sure for what we use it for we are safe based on where we are...
Old 04-30-2015, 07:12 PM
Registered

Can't speak on how it perform in those waters, but amazing looking toon.