Sea Strainer

Notices

Sea Strainer

Old 10-23-2002, 07:35 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sea Strainer

Hey fellow 288 Sunsation owners. I plan on putting a thru transom water pickup to supply my 650HP motor. But this time I want to run a sea strainer!!! I was running a screen on the pickup in the last boat, and It got sickning to have to stop and clean the screen everytime it got cloged.

My question is, where to mount it, and what kind to get?
does anyone have any pics of one installed in a 288?
thanks
Claude
Old 10-24-2002, 10:27 AM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Canada Jeff, I'm not sure if I'm going tramsom mount or thru hull yet. It depends if I have room between the out drive and the K-planes. I want to be outside of the prop diameter, so not to interfere with clean water to the prop. I have to run a water pickup because the stock bravo pickup won't supply enough water to reach the 18-25 psi water pressure needed for the engine. I'm sure there's a few Sunsation owners out here that run a sea strainer. That's what I'm really interested in seeing where they mounted the sea strainer.
I also want to know if the strainer has to be mounted bellow the sea pump, or if it can be mounted anywhere? I would think the lower the better, but I want to know what I can get away with.
thanks
Old 10-25-2002, 04:24 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

30 psi is to much CJ. if you get lots of air, the re entry water spikes will double the pressure. I run a PFM pressure release in my cross over tube. which dumps over board. Lots of the newer sea strainers out there have a built in pressure release in the strainer, But sense I already have the PFM one. I will probably by the strainer with out. This is a picture of some elses cross over tube with the valve installed, but you can put it anywhere befor entering the block.
good luck
Attached Thumbnails Sea Strainer-pfmpresrelefe.jpg