Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Sunsation
Chris 288 - how's the new boat been? >

Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?

Notices

Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?

Old 09-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Re: Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?

Originally Posted by Chris288
I only find the boat squirrly in confused chop and quartering boat wakes, your trying to go one way and the boat hookes a bit and goes the other..
Chris288
I too experience the above (quote) with my new 24 SUPERBOAT StepPad (O/B). I think the step is more bad than good.
Attached Thumbnails Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?-24padvee.jpg  

Last edited by SUPERBASH; 09-03-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?

Thanks for the feedback Chris. Just got back from Vaca. and am trying to catch up on everything. Sounds like most boats, when you start to add steps and pads and so on, something has got to give elsewhere. Not saying you guys did anything wrong Dave, just seems to always be the case. I am trying to do some homework, next year will be looking to move to a new (larger) boat and wife likes the room and looks of the 262 Cobalt, but I would like to keep some level of performance hull under me. So figure a 288 with an open bow might be a good compromise? I will be curious as to the findings at the factory... keep us posted, and best of luck with the new boat(s)!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Registered

Had Wayne, Joe, Myself and Dave Moriarty our engineer take a new 288 out today to run in the conditions you all mentioned. Keep in mind this boat only had a 496 Mag and ran 69.6 top end. We tested and tested and tested and tested and the boat preformed flawlessy, no side to side movement at all. We each drove the boat so we could get different driving skills involved and everyone was very pleased with the performance and handling. I know you guys are running much faster 288's with the big power and where you seem to experience the movement, we'll be completing another 288 here in about a month & a half with a 525 that we'll run through the paces like today.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Banned

Dave,
These guys are running 800hp in a 288, better put a 575 in your next test boat. Have you determined the maximum speeds that these hulls 288, 32 will run before lack of stability out weighs increased speed?

Kanook, 800hp in a 288 and it feels loose at 80mph. What has been your maximum mph? You said you can drive thru that zone but the speed attempt ends. You run out of water or nerves?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:02 AM
Registered

Red,

I've personally run our 288 (2000 hull) at 92. I ran that speed in 2 - 3 foot seas, not in any calm water so I did not experience what Kanook and Rotax have. Every hull has its unique characteristics, especially performance hulls. There’s always a trade off somewhere. I’d say better than 90% of our buyers stay with stock power, it’s that 10% (myself included) that push the edge of the envelope. We certainly appreciate everyone’s input and trust me when I say we’re listening. We’ll keep working at always “Exceeding Your Expectations”.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Registered

hey dave
did that 288 have k plates on it
i wonder if you guys tested the hulls with and without k plates to see
if their was any differance in ride even with the its box. it must ride different

ps . bill at sheps sold the 32 ive seen it twice on water looks good.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:54 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Red Thunder

Kanook, 800hp in a 288 and it feels loose at 80mph. What has been your maximum mph? You said you can drive thru that zone but the speed attempt ends. You run out of water or nerves?
My top speed before the blower pulley change was 90.6 GPS with full tank of fuel and 3 people, 2 foot chop. The speed attempt ends because I have to back off and stabilize her. She rides more stable with the K-planes, but loses allot of speed. I usually drive thru the walking, but it can get scary at times. I experience none of this when there is anything over a 1 foot chop. It's just in calm waters, and unfortunately for me thats 95% of the time on my waters.
This fall I'll get some measurements off the guys at Sunsation, and check and compare them with mine. Who knows maybe the X dimension, or engine location might be slightly off than the rest??
Old 09-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Banned

Nook,

90 in a 288 must of been a ride. Do you feel like your getting your moneys worth making 800hp and not being able to use it all?

Dave,
32 Dominator with stock 500EFI was 88-92 mph. Do you know of anyone doing over a 100? What power does it take? Made any Dominators with a pair of new 575's EFI?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:04 AM
Registered

Red,

A Dominator with a single HP500 would never run 88 - 92 mph, at least not stock. We've built a few over the years and stock out of the box you'll see something in the mid 70's. As Dave (Dominating S/32) says he's running in the mid 90's with over 800 ponies. Just a few months back we built an awesome Dominator with 575's and ITS's, that boat rock's, runs mid 90's easily and has acceleration that'll blow your mind. There are a couple of Dominators running triple digits and they;re all running over 700hp motors, that's not to say anything under wont get you there; 600 - 650 ???

Rotax,

The boat we just ran did have K Planes, we're only building with K Planes now. Had way too many warranty issues with the dual ram tabs that were standard.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:36 AM
Registered

K Planes realy help whan running in the rough for me. Level with the hull or down just a bit more, works great. But I'm only running 73 : ) .

Takes time behind the wheel in different water to realy make these boats run perfect. I have over 200 hours on mine and havn't scared myself yet, knock on wood.

Quick Reply: Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.