Chris 288 - how's the new boat been? >

Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?

Notices

Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?

Old 08-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?

Chris~

Just wanted to see how you have found the new hull to be so far? Have you managed to find a prop that is satisfactory for your day-to-day boating? Fill us in when you have a chance on the latest and greatest...

Thanks!

Mark.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?

Hey Mark,, Thanks for asking.. The hull has a step, a pad, and a small notch,,, IMO these all work to make the boat pretty fast for power and size,,, I am consistantly seeing 70-71 with just an H.O. on a 28 footer spinning a stock 26 bravo 1 @ 4,950, slip seems to be right around 13-14%. I have a labbed 26 that I am thinking of having turned into a 27 which would spin right around 5050 and I would think 74 if the slip stays the same, I have a labbed 28 arriving today or tomorrow to test,, overall the stock 26 runs very well..

as for the handling,, Just remember these are just my opinions... all those tricks to make speed, I feel take a little away from ride quality,, over a boat thats a straight v like a baja. The boat hates being driven @ less than say 50-55, any slower in confused chop and its a bit rough, the boat really needs to get up on top of the rough and onto it's pad an the ride smooths out. I also find that when quartering boat wakes the boat will sometimes rather than knife through them at the current angle of attack, will veer with them, again this is my first step,pad,notched boat I have driven and this may be a trait of this type of boat.

were up to approx. 40 hours now and overall we really like the boat, it gets compliments up the ying yang from everyone who sees it,, sure there are a little nit picky things but I would think you will find them on ANY boat.. hope this helps,, if you have any other specific questions let me know.. Chris

Last edited by Chris288; 08-25-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Registered

well here is my input
05 288 with a 525 efi and the ITS standoff box .28 pitch prop not labbed
top speed i seen so far 78 gps spedo. hits 74/76 all the time full of fuel.

at 70 plus the boat is loose side to side movement
i drive this in allot of mixed chop like a washing machine
it drives throught it at 60 like nothing.
i think it might handel different with the ITS.
overall i like this boat allott. lots of complements from big money boat owners . you can see it on sunsations site

fit finish is awesome paint is a 7 out of 10 for perfection
customes service at sunsation 10 of 10

i will be trying a 32 soon to see the handling at 70 plus
next boat i want to be very stable at 75plus
Old 08-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Registered

Yup, that's what I was pointing out,, side to side movement it a little much compared to other boats I have driven,, you have to really pay attention to how you approach other boat wakes and at what angle you attack them..

fit finish = 7 out of 10.. I have quite a few dust pieces, blue dust and other stuff in my gel.

paint = 8 our of 10 Mitch did a beautiful job,, but seems they painted the dash panels on the boat,, had to remove one panel to check oil temp gauge and my panel now looks like crap because the paint came up around the screws.

after 40 hours of operation 7.5 out of 10..
Old 08-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotax, did your reprograming help the rich running? Had my done, didn't seem any better on mine. I have a 28 nordic with 525EFI.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Registered

yes the transom is always cleaner . the boat sounds different too
i havent hit 78 again after reprograming .will try as weather cools off
60 hours on her know my plugs fouled at 30 hours so it might bo good know
still see gas some times in the water after a shut down .overall engine runs
good will do 80 hours this seasion easy.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:13 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chris288
Yup, that's what I was pointing out,, side to side movement it a little much compared to other boats I have driven,, you have to really pay attention to how you approach other boat wakes and at what angle you attack them.. ..
Sounds like the same problem I have with my 2002 hull. She handled fine below 70 MPH, But after building a 800HP engine she's quite squirly at 80+ MPH speeds. It's allot less noticeable with a 2 foot chop. It's much worse on calm waters. I can usually drive thru it, but by then the high speed attempt has expired. So it sounds like the extended strakes on the 2005 hasn't done much for the high speed stability of the boat??? I wonder if Sunsation ever tried Not putting a pad on the 288, and if it was more stable??
Old 08-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Registered

I only find the boat squirrly in confused chop and quartering boat wakes, your trying to go one way and the boat hookes a bit and goes the other.. I am certainly not a boat designer,, BUT I can only assume that without a pad it would definitely handle better, wouldn't that be the case for any straight 24 V... but ofcourse it would be slower..
Old 08-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Registered

Thanks for the post guys, I personnaly have not experienced those actions while running the new 288, with 496 thru 525. But Wayne, Joe and myself are going to find those conditions and run again and run them with every trim angle to try to duplicate what each of you are saying. We know how the old hull ran and the new runs much stronger all the way around. Keep checking with us as we test hulls every week.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:37 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info Dave, Just let Joe and the gang know that I experience this on the 2002 hull, and at speeds of 80+. Also only on smooth water... I know you don't see much of that on the great lake, But I boat on waters that are less than 4 "INCH" chop 90% of the time.. If they ever experiment with High HP on the 2005 hull, and see that the stability is not a factor at 80+ MPH. I might think of continuing the strakes on Mine. I would think that a good fiberglass man should be able to do this??? But I want to be sure that it would work..

Quick Reply: Chris 288 - how's the new boat been?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.