Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > Super Boat International
Any interest in changing P-class speeds? >

Any interest in changing P-class speeds?

Notices

Any interest in changing P-class speeds?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not trying to butt in guys, but why dont we let JC and Smitty work this out and let them come back to the respective racers that it affects and go from there. They both are former racers and know the best interests of their racers and their groups. They got as far as getting OPA and SBI/APBA together in KW so far, I'd say they were doing a hell of a job.

You guys could argue/discuss for days with no plausable means to a solution in the middle.

Trent
Old 03-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would make more since for OPA to adopt a no twin big block rule to P5 than to allow 28'boats to run P6, you have to get a balance between length, torque and horsepower. If you change P6 to 28' more then half the fleet moves to P6 including most former F1's, You cant say I can run my 28 with more horsepower in P6 and you guys with 26' boats with less power have to stay in P5, its just common sense. There was a motion to adopt a no twin engine big block in P5 but I'm not sure where it went, we only had one boat that fit that bill which was Panther which only ran a few races, I think this is all very constructive, the most important thing that must be considered is prop calculation, altho not an exact since, it gives the powers that be a base line to work with. I wish we were at this point last December, Mark and I wanted to Race
The Superbowl Race, what a great way to break up the Winter months.
Eddie
Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
Not trying to butt in guys, but why dont we let JC and Smitty work this out and let them come back to the respective racers that it affects and go from there. They both are former racers and know the best interests of their racers and their groups. They got as far as getting OPA and SBI/APBA together in KW so far, I'd say they were doing a hell of a job.

You guys could argue/discuss for days with no plausable means to a solution in the middle.

Trent
What he said...
Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastedy
It would make more since for OPA to adopt a no twin big block rule to P5 than to allow 28'boats to run P6, you have to get a balance between length, torque and horsepower. If you change P6 to 28' more then half the fleet moves to P6 including most former F1's, You cant say I can run my 28 with more horsepower in P6 and you guys with 26' boats with less power have to stay in P5, its just common sense. There was a motion to adopt a no twin engine big block in P5 but I'm not sure where it went, we only had one boat that fit that bill which was Panther which only ran a few races, I think this is all very constructive, the most important thing that must be considered is prop calculation, altho not an exact since, it gives the powers that be a base line to work with. I wish we were at this point last December, Mark and I wanted to Race
The Superbowl Race, what a great way to break up the Winter months.
Eddie

Eddie,

A no twins rule in OPA P5 could work and I think the current SBI P5 guys would be more receptive to that idea. SBI P5 "outlawed" twins 2 years ago and this seems to have worked well for SBI...then pushing guys like Brad into SBI P4, where they've obviously done well. Also, SBI has been careful not to put the former F1 boats in P5...I'm sure OPA could adopt something for P6 if a 28 foot max was used.

And I totally agree with the prop calc and you make a good point on the hp. My concern is for the heavy hp boats as well. I've read the posts on the OPA forum and I'm willing to bet a 700 hp 24 footer could run easily against my 620 hp 28 footer (also weighing in at just over 6,000 pounds). Also, I noticed some of the OPA teams don't have their hp listed on the web site. I've been told what some of those boats have, and my 28 footer is underpowered and overweight compared to some of those boats.

Sean

Last edited by TGOR; 03-15-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Registered

Trent
Trent,

Butt out!

Okay, seriously though...you know me...I can't stand by and "wait" for something to happen. I initiated this post months ago and now it seems as if we're moving toward a standardized set of rules for all "P" classes. I'm ready to make this happen.

Somebody please tell me I can drop the "P"...I can get that done tonight.

Sean
Old 03-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TGOR
Somebody please tell me I can drop the "P"...I can get that done tonight.

Sean
Sure go ahead, then order F1 to replace it
Old 03-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe the no twins in Class 5 OPA is written in "stone". The Cintron/Panter is a Twin with what sounds like big blocks. I think it is there because of prop calc and that it was run by OPA. Also as far as I know no one has complained. Class 5 was the best class in OPA, lots of different winners and deck to deck racing with a large fleet.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

Sure go ahead, then order F1 to replace it
Not on the current boat...but maybe on the next!

Sean
Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Registered

R-turn Soon

Hey All,
We Can't Wait To Be Back On The Water With All Of You Great People. Boat Is Almost ReadY We Can't Wait To Put Her In The Water. Looking Foward To Seeing Everyone In The Pits Soon Enough. Race Safe Everyone. Good Luck.
John And Amy

Last edited by DODGE; 04-23-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: TYPE ERROR