Headers in a 24

Notices

Headers in a 24

Old 10-17-2005, 03:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headers in a 24

Can anyone tell me if CMI headers on a 496 will fit under the hatch on a 24? I am hearing that they at 3/4" taller that the stock exhaust.

If that is true, I will have a clearance problem...

Any other header suggestions?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: Headers in a 24

Check with Fred at Trick here on OSO. He is a dealer who has sold several of the new CMI -496 kits . I would think he could give you the exact dimensions and specs.

Best Regrads,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 10-17-2005, 04:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: Headers in a 24

Hey t-islands,

I think you and I are the only people who have 24's with a 496. I had to raise my hatch just to fit the 496. I heard that the CMI kit comes with 3" spacers for the plastic motor cover. I was thinking about the headers too. I'm still rethinking the hatch issue. I think it's going to have to be raised more. I can only go up another inch before the hatch is flush with the gunnels WITHOUT the cushion. I'm thinking of talking to a fiberglass guy to see what my options are. I'll snap some pics tomorrow to show the mods I made.

Dave
Old 10-17-2005, 05:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Raylar
Check with Fred at Trick here on OSO. He is a dealer who has sold several of the new CMI -496 kits . I would think he could give you the exact dimensions and specs.

Best Regrads,
Ray @ Raylar

Ray, I talked to Fred, that’s where I got the 3/4" detail. I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. My measuring was not very accurate.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Dave M
Hey t-islands,

I think you and I are the only people who have 24's with a 496. I had to raise my hatch just to fit the 496. I heard that the CMI kit comes with 3" spacers for the plastic motor cover. I was thinking about the headers too. I'm still rethinking the hatch issue. I think it's going to have to be raised more. I can only go up another inch before the hatch is flush with the gunnels WITHOUT the cushion. I'm thinking of talking to a fiberglass guy to see what my options are. I'll snap some pics tomorrow to show the mods I made.

Dave
Dave, You must have kept the engine cover. I removed mine and everything fit with our raising the hatch. It's very close.

I am also considering raising the hatch; but I want to be real sure on the height before I make any mods. I would be real interested in what you did.

Tim
Old 10-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I bolted 2x2 x .25" aluminum angle on each side (pic1)

I inverted the hinge and drilled a whole for it to come out from underneath. (pic3)

If you notice in pic2, the hatch is nearly flush with the gunnels. This also created a gap between the seat back and seat bottom. I screwed a 2x2 to the bottom of the seat to make up the difference. I also but a piece of lexan between the seat back and the hatch. I was afraid that my kids would be able to stick their hands in there and get caught in the motor.

I had to trim about 2" off the plastic cover in the very front.
Attached Thumbnails Headers in a 24-angle.jpg   Headers in a 24-looking-aft.jpg   Headers in a 24-rear.jpg  

Old 10-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You can see the piece of lexan in this pic. This winter I'll probably get the seat back redone with another section of cushion that will cover the gap. I can then take the 2x2 off the bottom of the seat.

You change one little thing and it starts a ripple effect with the whole interior!
Attached Thumbnails Headers in a 24-int.jpg  
Old 10-17-2005, 06:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Dave,

Looks good. How much did you actually raise the hatch? All I need is 1 inch.

Fred also told me the top of the header is farther forward than the stock tubes. I might be able to use that to my advantage. I would really like to take some measurements off an installed set.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I raised the hatch 2-3". Check out this thread....

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ht=496+headers

There are some pics of the CMIs installed in a Velocity.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey Tim,

Did you order those CMI's yet?

Quick Reply: Headers in a 24

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.