Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Superboat
whats the fastest single engine offshore V Hull?? >

whats the fastest single engine offshore V Hull??

Notices

whats the fastest single engine offshore V Hull??

Old 11-29-2005, 03:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: whats the fastest single engine offshore V Hull??

Originally Posted by Superbabi
Pat you missed my post, Are you serious about racing with Tom ( sea tow ) ?? Did I read Keith and Tom want to give it a go also ???
Gary, we must have hit the submit key at the same time.

I would love to give racing a try. It takes lots of $$ though; $$ I don't have, but Tommy may. I've been working him for a couple of years now.
If I can get Tommy to buy the boat and drive, I'll maintain it and throttle.
I almost had him when Fasteddie had his boat up for sale. This year I've been showing him Bruce's 28' Pantera ad every time we start BSing. Tom would rather an outboard powered cat (28' Skater) but neither of us has ever run a real fast cat...
If my boat was bigger, we would have already painted it yellow and rigged it for racing.
The odds are against it happening in the near future, but never say never...
Old 11-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
I think I remember JC Perf saying that the 27' Activator has run over 90mph with a "strong" 525...
But I doubt it during a race...
Also, someone earlier stated that Velocity holds the F1 speed record at 84 or so...
I think your correct about Velocity. That means that TKO is a little slower and Extreme even more. That's how i figure top speed for the Extreme (race weight) would realistically be high sventies to 80 with a 496HO.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JC Perf,
I have a question.
The Turbine boat that we're going to build is going to have a Sage # 8 drive on it (supposedly it doesn't suck power. Also a Zero effort sage shiftable tranny. For this drive to work (or an Arneson), the notch in the transom wwill be filled in. Erick, the rigger seems to think the Sage will be a better choice for the Y2K with a filled notch. Do you think the #6 would be better for 1400 HP ? From what I hear, the Sage #8 is around 20K, also alot lighter, and incredibly reliable. I'm hoping for 125 with that thing. Turbines do have incredible torque.

Geoo,
A unrigged Y2K starts around 35K, it might have gone up a few K with all the oil bullsh*t. If you want to put an Arneson in one, the notch in the transon needs to be filled in. No big deal. I'm sure Cohen will hook you up.

Rick
Old 11-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FX10
JC Perf,
I have a question.
The Turbine boat that we're going to build is going to have a Sage # 8 drive on it (supposedly it doesn't suck power. Also a Zero effort sage shiftable tranny. For this drive to work (or an Arneson), the notch in the transom wwill be filled in. Erick, the rigger seems to think the Sage will be a better choice for the Y2K with a filled notch. Do you think the #6 would be better for 1400 HP ? From what I hear, the Sage #8 is around 20K, also alot lighter, and incredibly reliable. I'm hoping for 125 with that thing. Turbines do have incredible torque.

Geoo,
A unrigged Y2K starts around 35K, it might have gone up a few K with all the oil bullsh*t. If you want to put an Arneson in one, the notch in the transon needs to be filled in. No big deal. I'm sure Cohen will hook you up.

Rick
I think the Sage would be the setup over the #6 because you can vertically trim a Sage drive like a jackplate.The problems with putting #6s on a single is where to put the prop shaft.The CG of the boat has alot of bearing on propshaft placement.My boat with the notch will like the bullet 1 inch below the bottom of the transom V surface.If the CG of the boat was more forward then the propshaft will have to be deeper to carry the nose.The sage drive eliminates all that because it trims up or down vertically
Old 11-29-2005, 07:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghied Again
George Desmond 18ft Donzi Arneson drive and 1000hp.. Radar at 120mph..
So, after 20 minutes of mind numbing reading, looks like Geoo is still the king @ 122.... In a thirty year old boat Or did I miss something in this epic battle of the wits??

I just read through, gotto be 100 post, 30 by JC Perf, on the other thread from last year...

George has it, no question!

The shot with the date is the day I described earlier in this thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Donzi Sarasota Heli 002sm.jpg (11.1 KB, 80 views)
DSC00063.jpg (8.1 KB, 72 views)
Rocker Plates 014sf.jpg (16.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 11-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet! Looks like a sleeper in the water.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 18' Donzi is an Offshore boat, just a very small offshore boat, and one of the firsts of the current (overall) generation.

How else Could you define it?
Single Small or big block motor,
24* Deep V Hull, offshore drive, (mine had TRS).

Pat,
We're talkin Ofshore boats here. Not 18' Donzi's. Hell my buddy's 21' Allison does 125mph.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets put it this way. 30' and over.
That takes out everything from the 18' Donzi and 20' Cigarette to Panteras, Bananas, Many Cigs and Magnums, etc.
*I* wouldn't exclude anything from 24' up in the offshore class and now 21 SOBs are a growing race class on the East Coast