Notices

Weight Distributing Bars

Old 04-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weight Distributing Bars

I've never used these, but am starting to think it would be a good idea. With the airbags on the rear axle, and the weight of the diesel engine up front, my truck and trailer ride level without the bars. But, there is teetertottering on non-smooth highways.

So, here's the question. Do I need bars rated for the entire weight of the tongue, or just for a significant part of the weight?

For example: if the tongue weighs 1200 pounds, but with air bags the truck is level without bars, do I need 1200lb bars, or would 750lb bars be okay? 1200 - 750 = 450lbs left on the ball, and I don't think that would cause much teetertottering on rough roads. Anyone got any input on this?
Old 04-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Weight Distributing Bars

You need a new hobby
Old 04-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RJ1340
You need a new hobby
Do you have anything productive to add?
Old 04-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
Do you have anything productive to add?
I do Chart.

Take a look at the price difference between the two bars. This would help my choice. If there's not much difference then go with the heavier bar for sure.

As for the original question. They are rated just like the tongue weight of the trailer is figured....so you are on the right track. I feel like in your case given the tow vehicle and suspension set up you would probably be OK with the lighter bars. Bigger is always better though.

Get some numbers locally and then give me a call. We'll see if the shipping companies will be nice enough to justify the money saved on parts.

Buck
Old 04-23-2005, 11:32 PM
Registered

Thanks Buck. I'll do that.

Do you have any trips to LOTO planned this summer?
Old 04-24-2005, 07:02 AM
Registered

I have 1000# bars from Draw-Tite. Too many guys I know shrug off the weight distributing hitch thing claiming "nobody uses them" and "I never had a problem". What they don't get is the hitch is only rated at #5000 without them, #10,000 with them. It only becomes a Class V hitch with the bars attached.

Once you have them set up correctly, you will love the difference in towing and won't want to tow without them. It is so much smoother and does tend to eliminate or significantly reduce the bucking.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I have a 2500 Avalanche towing a 12K lbs boat/trailer.
My setup works great, and I am a HUGE advocate of rear air-bag suspension. Its a MUST for any truck. It really improved the handling of my AV towing and NOT towing.

I JUST typed all this up for a friend of mine:

I also included the link to the Mudflaps that I have.

The attachments show some more information from the websites. The HitchFinder website is a little hard to navigate. You will have to click on High Performance Trunnion WD Systems and then go find Pole-Tongue Adapters to order online, or just call them with the parts. I included the drop-hitch piece which worked for my truck, but it should be the same with adjustment.

The eTrailer site is the only place to get the really heavy duty hitch-balls (over 10K lbs.)

www.hitchfinder.com

R31141 Pole Tongue Adapter $74.25

R54970 WD Adjustable Hitch Bar $81.50

R66022 1200 Trunnion Bar Weight Distributing Hitch Systems $340.50

http://www.etrailer.com/

74905 Titan Trailer Hitch Ball 2-5/16" x 1-1/4" x 2-1/2" - 14,000 lbs. $23.95

Also, many people are talking about this hitch, and that it is fully compatible with surge brakes/boat trailers, although, I have not seen how their pole-tongue adapter works:

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

See this thread for a lot of photos of my setup:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ribution+hitch

To directly answer your question... I would go with the 12K lbs. setup or whatever the proper setup is for your total weight package. Goodness forbid you have something let go over a bump while at speed, that's gonna totally suck and get you all out of shape. Also, again hoping you never have an incident, a not in the know Police Officer could look at your setup and say "well you don't have the proper equipment" and ticket you or find you at fault for the incident, OR worse, your insurance company could find you at fault for something and deny your claim. I know what you are trying to accomplish, but just getting rid of the teeter-totter, not legally required to have a WD setup, but the aforementioned folks might not when you need them too.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-24-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
Thanks Buck. I'll do that.

Do you have any trips to LOTO planned this summer?
I hadn't made any concrete plans up to this point in time to go up due to the lack of a boat right now. The thought of going up hadn't even crossed my mind just for the simple fact that I didn't want to think about it from being miserable.

Although....There may be an offer tabled from another member for the Shootout. Nothing on paper yet, but if the offer still stands I will take them up on it. I do hope to make it up at least once just to spend some time hanging with OSO.

Buck
Old 04-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definately go with the bars rated for your rig without the air bags. You can use less tension on the bars and use air pressure to tune the ride height.