Notices

Advice for more braking power

Old 01-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice for more braking power

Picked up a new alum trailer. Tri axel with six wheel Kodiak brakes(Surge).
Had a Zeiman steel trailer with 6 wheel disc brake previous. Live in FL so didnt last long.

Well the new trailer does not seem to stop as good. Not sure if there is any break-in time for the pads.
Has a titan actuator.
Maybe its becuase I have rubber lines running completely instead of stainless tubing?
Been reading online and see kodiak brakes are pretty good.
Will be checking to see if air in system. May have to bleed. Not sure how to do it on a trailer.

Whats a easy way to check the brakes. Unplug harness and roll back a few feet and trailer should stop or ???
Thanks
Dennis

Last edited by bowtye8; 01-14-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Re: Advice for more braking power

The rubber lines is a serious issue. I'd want SS all the way to the axles with 6-8" of rubber to the calipers. Champion trailer sells a kit that you can easily convert it over. I installed a 2 axles setup from scratch in my driveway.

Check the coupler and make sure its the right one. Uncouple the brake like coming out the back of it, and insert a straightened paperclip. If it stops pretty quickly, you have a valve in there that is only to be used with surge DRUM brakes.

www.championtrailerparts.com has some info articles on this.

If you unplug your wiring harness, your trailer should stop immediately as soon as you engage reverse. The solenoids can go bad as well, and become hung up.

I'd also recommend completely replacing all of your brake fluid. I noticed my braking power diminish over time, and I replaced my whole Dico/Titan brake cylinder/actuator assembly along with the fluid flush. It works great now. But, since your trailer is new, none of this should be an issue.

Next thing to do is convert to Electric over Hydraulic. Its expensive, but worth every penny once you tow with it once.