Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Truck people, braking question >

Truck people, braking question

Notices

Truck people, braking question

Old 06-10-2003, 08:24 AM
Rick252

Default Truck people, braking question

I tow with a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, 360, 4X4. My normal tow is 1 mile to the lake and 1 mile back. This year I want to make some trips around the neighboring states. Question is: Is there a way to up-grade the brakes on this truck. Although it does a good job pulling.. stopping sucks.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:35 AM
Scott72

Not sure if they make brakes for Dodges, but I now they do for all the Chevy trucks which have notoriously bad weak brakes in the years 88-99 (I have a 95 tahoe). It's a company called Praise Dyno out of Houston Tx I think. They make different packages in stages and are great to deal with. With there front rotor/pad and rear pad package it totally changes the way a Suburban/Tahoe brake. Not sure of there number but I think if you type in Praise Dyno Brakes on a search engine, there web site will come up. Check them out...

Old 06-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Eternal Warrior

Scott72, How much was the package for your Tahoe? I have 99 and I've always thought the breaks felt a little weak.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Scott72

I went with a stage I kit which was just front and rear pads and the spring kit for the rear drums. I think it was around $240. Not cheap, but made a big difference once broken in and I believe in not skimping on brakes. At the time I aslo replaced the front rotors with OEM and had the rear drums cut. I looked up there web site and it is www.praisedynobrakes.com Most of the guys on the suburban/tahoe website I visit have nothing but good things to say also. I think a stage II kit is much more expensive because it has Kryo treated rotors etc... I only tow my boat down to rack storage and back twice a year, so I didn't feel I needed them.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

well first off you have to tell us what the problem you are trying to correct? Is the boat/trailer pushing you around? or does teh truck just plain suck at stopping?
If it the trailer combo doing the problems you can convet the trailer to electric brakes and adjust it how you want it to stop....also help in some emergency situations to be able to activate the trailer brakes and not the truck brakes!

if its the truck its self thats the problem there are a number of ways to go about it....as mentioned above there are packages you can buy to help stop. Single biggest thing i did to help my truck was switch to steel braided brake lines.....mine had over 100k miles on them and the rubber was starting to flex.....also you can totaly fluch out all the old brake fluid with fresh new stuff..moisture in the brake system is not good for stopping....another thing you can do is go with better brake pads. I had Carbon Metalic pads on my dually.....they sorta suck when cold but when you get them warmed up a bit you can knock you teeth out on the steering wheel if you aint ready for it!
Then you can go as far as getting performance rotors....and sway bars for the trailer to help some more in towing and stopping.....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

http://www.praisedynobrake.com/

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Rick252

Default Wally

Wally, The boat I pull is a Baja 252. If my memory serves me, it weighs in around 45-5000 lbs. Another option I was looking into was the electric brake trailer conversion you talked about. The problem is in the truck itself. The local mechanic says that Dodge fudged on the brake system that year. Should have had bigger setup for a truck that size

Old 06-10-2003, 12:24 PM
Scott72

It does depend on your setup. My Tahoe was bought with the tow package and had a dealer installed ectronic brake contoller becuase the previous owner towed horses. All GM K1500 Suburbans/Tahoes/Pickups are pretty weak in the brake area untill 2000 (four wheel disk). For your Dodge I'd look into putting some better pads on and then, as Wally stated, look at your trailer brakes. The newer systems on trailers are night and day compared to the old drums that used to lock up with a stab of your brakes.

Old 06-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Rick,
If you want to do anything to the trailer give my brother Brandon a call at Haskins Trailer here in Cincy. Tell him I sent you. He'll hook u up!!

-Byron