Notices

Tandem dually vs triple axle

Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
What would be the main reasons for going back to the f450 from the Peterbilt? (other than the increase in towing capacity). I would think that once you have the Peterbilt and are happy with it that it would last forever.
Two different thoughts there. The first was that I would sell the Pete if the Apache sold since I would not need the big truck for a new Top Gun or Tiger with a cabin. The second thought was in the event that the boat did not sell, I could sell the Pete and use that money to change the boat to fit our needs. The changes are gonna cost $60K-100K and I was considering selling the Pete to cover that cost rather than having to cover it out of pocket.

Sometimes it just seems like a waste to have the Pete sitting in the garage collecting dust only to be used every now and then. I drive it to work ever two or three weeks just to drive it, but it is a 2002 and only has 10K miles on it. No joke. I was hoping to do a lot of traveling for poker runs after I got out of racing, but I have not made the time and have only done one poker run out of state.

As for the 450, I needed a daily driver anyway, so I figured that I could kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. For the past several years I held the position of battalion Chief with the FD, so I had a take home truck (Chevy Tahoe) 24/7. I sold my personal, every day car because I had unlimited use of the Chief's truck anywhere within 60 miles of the city. Needless to say, I drove that every day (free gas, free maintenance, etc...). Anyhow, I gave up the position back in January (did not run for re-election due to a baby at home) and therefore lost use of the vehicle. I needed something to drive every day and the 450 was the choice.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 10-03-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds very logical as long as it tows well.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pookie
That sounds very logical as long as it tows well.
For me safety is the key. If the 450 does not handle the load safely, even though it is rated for that load, the Pete will be staying. If it handles the load well, I will be faced with a decision.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

I have towed with both and really liked the tandem dual set up. The only problem I had was if the oil bath axles are not sealed, water gets in the oil when you dunk it. It then becomes a big pain in the a$$. You can make some home made "condoms" to keep the water out, or just seal the hubs.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Registered

I replaced the oil with Lucas (much more viscous) and replaced the vented Dexter seals with nonvented. It seems to have worked well so far.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hot Duck
For me safety is the key. If the 450 does not handle the load safely, even though it is rated for that load, the Pete will be staying. If it handles the load well, I will be faced with a decision.
Any updates?
Old 10-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pookie
Any updates?

None. The boat is still at the marina. It's still 85 degrees outside!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:18 AM
Registered

When you keep it at the marina is it on the trailer or in the water?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's in a cradle on land and they simply lift it in and out with the fork lift.
Attached Thumbnails Tandem dually vs triple axle-p1010005.jpg   Tandem dually vs triple axle-p1010007.jpg   Tandem dually vs triple axle-p1010008.jpg  

Old 10-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Registered

I wish we had a marina around here (Chicago area) that would do that with a large boat. I dont like having my boat sit in the water (although with fresh water it doesn't really harm it, just a pain to acid wash at the end of the season)

Quick Reply: Tandem dually vs triple axle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.