Notices

Tandem dually vs triple axle

Old 09-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tandem dually vs triple axle

I have a tandem dually Myco trailer which has 24.5 Alcoas, Goodyear commercial tires, and 15,000 lb. solid axles. It tows great but the boat sits fairly high on the trailer. It isn't really made for wet launching, but I replaced the axle seals and it has been fine. I have been thinking of trading it for a triple axle gooseneck, but wanted some thoughts.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a tandem dually under the Apache and switched to a triple axle gooseneck. The tandem duals are fine, but they can be a pain in the a$$ to change a tire if the flat is on the inside dual. One more thing that I considered is that when it comes time for new tires on the trailer, I only have to replace seven (6 plus a spare) with the triple axle instead of nine (8 plus a spare) with the tandem dually.

We went with a gooseneck for the new trailer because of the weight and length of the boat. The gooseneck will put the tongue weight directly over the rear axle of the tow vehicle and will also allow you to jackknife the trailer if needed in tight areas.

Either trailer will work well, but these are the reasons that I made the switch when I built a new trailer. I don’t think that I would change just to change, but if you are replacing the trailer anyway it might be something to consider. Here are pictures of each trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Tandem dually vs triple axle-900.jpg   Tandem dually vs triple axle-901.jpg   Tandem dually vs triple axle-902.jpg  

Old 09-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Registered

That is a great looking rig! Have you towed that with the f450 yet? What did you tow it with when it was on the tandem dually?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Registered

Mine is more of a cruiser with 6'4" headroom.
Attached Thumbnails Tandem dually vs triple axle-anne-marie-1.jpg  
Old 09-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
That is a great looking rig! Have you towed that with the f450 yet? What did you tow it with when it was on the tandem dually?
I never towed the tandem dually. It was under the boat when I bough it, but it was so rusted up that we traded it to Tres for some work on the boat. I think that he was going to use it as a shop trailer or something. Since we flew down to see the boat for the first time, we had a transporter move it from Blountstown (where we bought it) to Tres in Lauderdale.

I did tow the boat on the gooseneck with my 2002 F-450 and it did the job well, but it was over it's legal weight so I sold it and bought the Pete to keep things absolutely safe and legal. I have not towed the boat with the new 450 yet, but I will post the results when I do.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Banned

As you know I tow all kinds of trailers. Yes the two axel is higher but if you get a flat tire you still have the other one to get you to a service station. If I was building a new large trailer it would be a dually gooseneck
Old 10-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Registered

I have checked with Myco (the quality on my tandem dually is excellent). They only do three axle gooseneck or standard tandem dually.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:10 AM
Registered

The tire wear for the tandem dually should be better than the triple axle since you're not scrubbing as much when turning.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:35 AM
Registered

What would be the main reasons for going back to the f450 from the Peterbilt? (other than the increase in towing capacity). I would think that once you have the Peterbilt and are happy with it that it would last forever.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Banned

I love my pete, in fact I am working with the conversion shop today to order a new one with a larger engine. Mine will be for sale soon.

Quick Reply: Tandem dually vs triple axle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.