Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Jacking up torsion axle trailer? >

Jacking up torsion axle trailer?

Notices

Jacking up torsion axle trailer?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking up torsion axle trailer?

What does everybody use to jack up a torsion axle trailer? I know the wood block or curb trick but what if I just want to raise one wheel at a time to do bearings? The only thing I can think of is a scissor jack at the end of the swingarm, right behind the wheel.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You ought to be able to get a 2-ton bottle jack right behind the tire and place it on collar that the spindle mounts into. I do it all the time. Place the jack directly against the tire, and you ought to get enough of the pad under the spindle collar to lift up just that spindle.

Or, you could get two LARGE floor jacks, and jack up one whole side of the trailer. I've done that before too.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c_deezy
What does everybody use to jack up a torsion axle trailer? I know the wood block or curb trick but what if I just want to raise one wheel at a time to do bearings? The only thing I can think of is a scissor jack at the end of the swingarm, right behind the wheel.
I have always used a 4 x 4 stacked up to a 6 x 6 on the good wheel and drove up on it. This was told to me by Myco to be the proper way when I bought my first Torsion axle trailer seven years ago. It is much easier then trying to jack one up, faster and safer and you don't have to carry a jack.

Depending on the size of your boat you may not actually be able to jack it up with torsion axles.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered

The trailer is under a 38 Top Gun, its a tri-axle (of course). I've used the block trick, but what if you need to jack up the middle tire?

I tried to get a 3-ton jack under the swingarm but it was too wide. I didn't have my little 2-ton, I'll have to give that a try. I just want to do one wheel at a time so I can go through the bearings. The only other thing I could think of is a toe-lift jack or a small bottle jack.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c_deezy
The trailer is under a 38 Top Gun, its a tri-axle (of course). I've used the block trick, but what if you need to jack up the middle tire?

I tried to get a 3-ton jack under the swingarm but it was too wide. I didn't have my little 2-ton, I'll have to give that a try. I just want to do one wheel at a time so I can go through the bearings. The only other thing I could think of is a toe-lift jack or a small bottle jack.
I am on my second triple torsion ae Myco and i can promise you that you cannot jack it up.

It is very simple with the blocks. Put a 4 x 4 in front of the front axle tire and one in front of the rear axle tire. Then put a 6 x 6 in fron to the first 4 x 4. You will need an extr hand to add the 6 x 6 in front of the rear axle as you drive up because there is not enough clearence between the tires. Now the center axle is off the ground and both the others are supported just as if they are sitting on the ground.

Trust me it works.

If you can get one jacked up I would like to know how you did it. I think it will actually put too much strain on the trailer to try it.

Good luck
Old 10-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Registered

I pulled my front axle up on the blocks as mentioned and then used a jack on the rear axle. It worked but don't think I would try it on a 38 footer! Mine is a 28 Sunsation and that front tire sure didn't like it! Had no choice as I was by myself at the time.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 AM
Registered

Thanks for the Block tip !!!! Some people will just over Enginneer a project or simply make love to it !!!

Last edited by activatorf1; 03-16-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 AM
Registered

Booya The 12-ton was small enough to just sneak in and push the torsion arm up on one wheel too. Now I need some bearings.