Notices

Torsion axle questions

Old 07-14-2008, 12:16 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion axle questions

I have never owned a trailer that had torsion axles until now, what kind of maintencence do these require and is there any known problems with this systems, it seems to be a little better system than leaf spring axles, less parts is always better in most cases?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the one's I've ever had squeaked annoyingly. And when they sagged, it required the entire axle be replaced. I'm not a fan. But if you already have them, that's what you've got. There's no maintenance. If yours squeak, don't try to oil them- the oil deteriorates the rubber and ruins the axle. I learned the hard way. you're right though, you don't have to worry about broken springs and hangers. I'd keep an eye on mount bolts- they do take more abuse- the axles are mounted more rigidly. Check them for cracking/failure and general tightness at least once a season.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

yu know, i have not ever looked at the mount bolts before, so when you say they sag, does that mean one has twisted a littlem more than the other?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wll never own another boat trailer that does not have torsion axles. They are 1000 times better theN springs. You made a very good decision in my opinion.

I have owned three Myco's all with torsion and have never had a single failure or issue with any of them and they did not and still do not squeak.

We sell a product to industry made by a company named Lovejoy called a Rosta Tensioner and it has been on the market for 20 years and works identical to the torsion axles and they really last a long time and work very well.

Personally I have found them to be maintenance free and trouble free. It makes changing a flat tire a breeze because you just carry a block of wood and put it in front of the good wheel and pull the trailer up onto the wood and the flat is off the ground. Or you can just drive it up on a curve if there is one handy.

My last trailer was 6 years old and carried a 10,000 lb boat. We trailered it over 60,000 miles covering 16 states and it's still going strong and the new owner loves it. I also think they are easier on tires compared to leaf springs.

I think you be very happy with it.

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 07-15-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by GrandTimes
yu know, i have not ever looked at the mount bolts before, so when you say they sag, does that mean one has twisted a littlem more than the other?
I think what he means by sag is when the rubber compresses over time and the trailer sets lower. Again I towed a 36 Outlaw over 60K miles and NEVER saw any sag. The wheels would have been touching the fenders if it had.

Of course the trailer has to be built and designed properly which Myco does a great job of that.

I've got one buddy that has completely rebuilt his trailer twice and he has spent a lot more then I would if I had to replace the torsion axles.

Good luck

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 07-15-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. Sag meaning the rubber "spring" wears out. I've owned two Eage trailers- bot with torsion axles. Both squeaked worse than a rusty Tin Man banging Dorothy. Both were POS trailers. If it's on a Myco, I'm sure it's a good axle. I guess the lesson here is good torsion axles on good trailers are probably OK.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered

I love mine as well. I have a heritage and not crazy about the trailer, but love the axles. Should be very low maintaince. Not to disagree, but they should be much quieter that shakles, not so many moving metal parts. One thing to check however is that when hooked to truck, make sure the trailer is level and tires are all supporting the load. These do not transfer the weight if you have you tongue to high or low and will overload and heat up tires if not set up properly. Congrats.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 AM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks guys, i wasnt sure if there was a grease zurt that i was missing on the axles.it actually seems to be one of the best ridding trailers i have ever owned, im happy so far.