Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
03 powerstroke overheats only when towing >

03 powerstroke overheats only when towing

Notices

03 powerstroke overheats only when towing

Old 06-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you please provide me your vin #.... I am a ford diesel tech. i would have to suspect you may have a large ammount of iron in the cooling system. there is a procedure to flush this. there is also a chemical available it is vc-9 available at any for store. but with the cooling system on this thruck i would assume you also have bias between the coolant and oil temp. if you could get your hands aon a chip or scan tool it would be good to know what the oil and coolant temp is. they should not be more than 15 degrees of difference. i have flushed some restricted oil coolers with success i would give it a shot. if interested i can post workshop manual instructions in .pdf form.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey Fixx can you do an Oasis for my on my 03? i can grab the vin.
Mike
Old 06-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Registered

I can pull oasis no problem. just get the olde vin number and we will go from there
Old 06-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks Fixx. I called the guys i deal with but its a new guy and he is being a dick. Ill get it tonight for you
Mike
Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger
Thanks Fixx. I called the guys i deal with but its a new guy and he is being a dick. Ill get it tonight for you
Mike
I can access fords website from home so no big deal. post it when you can.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM
VIP Member

How many miles?? I have an 03 also and am experiencing the same issue. I have been told I am lifting the heads when towing and that it is pushing compression into the coolant. Also I have 90K and some have said the EGR cooler could be getting clogged which super heats the coolant.

I plan on doing head gaskets and studs soon with the hope it fixes it.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawkcat
could be the blue oval on the front
guy...i have a ford, and that one caught me by suprise with its simplicity....now that i've stopped laughing....well played!
very funny...
c
Old 06-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
How many miles?? I have an 03 also and am experiencing the same issue. I have been told I am lifting the heads when towing and that it is pushing compression into the coolant. Also I have 90K and some have said the EGR cooler could be getting clogged which super heats the coolant.

I plan on doing head gaskets and studs soon with the hope it fixes it.
i would put an egr cooler block off at that time if you are not in a state with emissions ckecks
Old 06-19-2010, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

Don't those EGR delete things throw a check engine light?? I was told to do that but then I would have the light on???
Old 06-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered

im not sure what the 03 and early 04 models will do. i have not done one on those trucks due to the fact that the egr cooler is stronger in that year range. the 2004.25-2007 engines only need a $50.00 cat delete pipe (can be found on ebay) tto keep the light off. all trucks will set a code on self test because the truck cycles the valve and compares intake air temp before and after the valve. this code can be only set during the ford running self test with IDS and the truck is not capable of setting this code while running or turning the mil lamp on. the delete is great to do.

keep your coolant clean to keep that oil cooler moving and i do 10 egr coolers to 1 set of head gaskets. if your tank is venting it is either the fan, oil cooler, egr cooler or possibly head gaskets. not likely head gaskets on a 03 or early 04 model because they are de-tuned from the factory. the 05-07 models have more hp and torque and the MLS gaskets in this case are crap. studs have no benifet it is all the gasket.

i wet sand the deck and head and use fords new bolts and torque procedure. i have never had one come back with ford parts back in it that i have installed. in my opinion the studs are a waste of money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.