Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Which powerstroke diesel should I stay away when looking at fords? is it the 6.0 or ? >

Which powerstroke diesel should I stay away when looking at fords? is it the 6.0 or ?

Notices

Which powerstroke diesel should I stay away when looking at fords? is it the 6.0 or ?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a Duramax

You can't beat the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, 2500's will tow 17,000 off the bumper. Try that with a Ford or Dodge. The 2011 has a new chassis, much heftier design. Check one out, the best part is that the new emission systems cleaned up the exhaust so much,they don't stink to high heaven when you are behind one. Go Chevy!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by punkinhead
You can't beat the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, 2500's will tow 17,000 off the bumper. Try that with a Ford or Dodge. The 2011 has a new chassis, much heftier design. Check one out, the best part is that the new emission systems cleaned up the exhaust so much,they don't stink to high heaven when you are behind one. Go Chevy!
LOL there ain't NO WAY I would tow 17,000lbs on the receiver hitch(I know you didn't mean the bumper...), especially a 2500 with a single axle. I wouldn't tow that much with a dually unless it was a gooseneck/5th wheel. Wouldn't be prudent.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by punkinhead
I own both.. 11 GMC 3500 and F350. GM has really stepped up their game. Towing stability still goes to the Ford, as well as handeling loaded and unloaded...not by much. 6 speed is better along with a way better use of materials and egernomics on the Ford. GM motor is just slightly quicker to 80mph by about 1/2 a truck, even with Fords new 400/800 flash. GM's weight on the scale is also 392 pounds less. Loaded with an identicle 12k trailer, the Ford is quicker to 60 by 1.5 trucks..and keeps on pulling. The Ford is also quieter. The GM looks to me better, has better brakes and brake feel, and their traction control is a better smoother or more linear than Fords on and off set up. Both great trucks, and am proud to own both and American..Jeff
Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford vs GM

I for one am glad to have "real world comparison" in the field doing what these vehicles are initially intended for! Nothing harder on a truck than day in day out use in the field. Thanks Jassman! ..........................................Robertjr ......................
Old 09-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To anwser your question, get with a mechanic or someone like Fixxxer that has the knowledge. The 2 6.0 we have do have over 200k , look like dog poo, we worked the crap out of them knowing we wouldnt be trading them in, and Im hoping to get another 25-50k out of them before an entire rebuild or one of the employees buys them. The Duramaxes we have are the same, they have their own PITA issues. The 6.0 got a bad rap, due to Fords early release and trusting International. International to me is a failing co in the big truck arena. The 05 have a spring set up front which makes turning way better and the majority of the issues were being handled. Ford has done a great job with their own motor..6.7.. and wish that would have started earlier. I know from our own issues torqing head studs, and a little .85 part that goes to the radiator will resolve the majority of issues. Also the 6.0 is way easier to work on per my Ford mechanics. He actually likes them better, less smog stuff. Also change your oil every 5k, rear end and tranny 25k, and keep tires rotated and follow Fords recommendation on tire pressure, cause Fords will eat up some tires. ALSO LEAVE THESE TRUCKS STOCK, NO EXHAUST, NO INTAKE, AND HELL NO.. NO PROGRAMMER.. Good Luck Jeff

oh ya. have these checked or eliminated..the 6.0s have a problem with clogged EGR and clogged oil coolers.

Last edited by Jassman; 09-11-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
HELL NO.. NO PROGRAMMER.. Good Luck Jeff

That right there kept me from boating for 90% of this summer. I bought the truck last year, previous owner was nearly in tears seeing his baby being driven away, had every bit of paperwork for all work and mods done to the truck. I knew it had been taken care of, and all the trouble items had been replaced and improved. One of the things he told me was the ficm and programmer were custom set up together, don't mess with them, and don't let ford reflash either one. Truck ran and drove great, until I put the boat behind it. Then I had overheating issues. I spent months troubleshooting and diagnosing every system that could possibly be causing my issues without finding anything wrong. I finally was going to break down and take it to the dealer, so I took the tune off of it and just like that, all of my problems went away. I'll be driving it this way from now on. This saves me from going out and buying an '11 in the next few months. I may still buy one in spring, but now it will just be because I want to, not because I don't trust the 6.0.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ImaPoser
That right there kept me from boating for 90% of this summer. I bought the truck last year, previous owner was nearly in tears seeing his baby being driven away, had every bit of paperwork for all work and mods done to the truck. I knew it had been taken care of, and all the trouble items had been replaced and improved. One of the things he told me was the ficm and programmer were custom set up together, don't mess with them, and don't let ford reflash either one. Truck ran and drove great, until I put the boat behind it. Then I had overheating issues. I spent months troubleshooting and diagnosing every system that could possibly be causing my issues without finding anything wrong. I finally was going to break down and take it to the dealer, so I took the tune off of it and just like that, all of my problems went away. I'll be driving it this way from now on. This saves me from going out and buying an '11 in the next few months. I may still buy one in spring, but now it will just be because I want to, not because I don't trust the 6.0.
The problem with these programers or modules is there is typically a few settings. For the Ford SCT and one other one, cant remeber the name control the trans as well. Usually a tow mode is 60hp/100tq, great for towing and driving around.. next was street tune @ 120/200 and then race @ 200/320 which is just that. Most guys used the street tune, and a few the race tune. This raises head pressure and you know what happens next, blown head gaskets and so on. The motors cant handle that. The tow tune does work well and towing a boat should only be used in this tune vs street like most guys did. Even watching gauges or the shut down versions are too late in saving the motor. Best thing is leave it stock...I use to race these trucks on Wed. nights..we even got serious and started playing with dry ice as a cool down method in between runs..we had nitrous and propane, along with intake and so on..Its racing, and sh!t breaks...not worth it. Like I have said, we have both a Duramax and 6.0 Ford with over 200k. they have been stock and both have had some issues. They still run and Im hoping to get another 25-50k before a major rebuild..Good Luck. Jeff
Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Sandcraft is right. Stay away from the 6.0. If you want a newer truck get the 08-10 with the 6.4. That motor will make big power(500hp) with an intake manifold, an air filter and a tuner.

As to your dashboard problem, if you use a windshield shade, the dash won't crack.
dont be silly. the 6.0 is great when updated.

stay with the 2005 and later. if you want to know warranty history send me the vin. i can run oasis and tell what has and has not been done.

dont listen to cat. he doesnt even have a truck anymore!!!! and yes, ford overall is better quality. that is why they are the most used. more trucks made... more out there... more reported problems due to more of everthing. ford is the way to go. send me pms of vin numbers you are looking at. and if under warranty... send it to me. i will take care of you and update the truck to a every day truck.

and cat... the 6.4 is a POS!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Registered

CAT! never put an air filter on anything! they are crap and the 6.4 will for sure have mutiple re-ge issues and oil growth.

you need to do your homework.. diesel forums dont make an expert
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
ALSO LEAVE THESE TRUCKS STOCK, NO EXHAUST, NO INTAKE, AND HELL NO.. NO PROGRAMMER..
right with ya! just get rid of egr and pull the boat. if its not enough. buy a peterbuilt!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.