Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Is CDL & Wide Load Permit Needed?? >

Is CDL & Wide Load Permit Needed??

Notices

Is CDL & Wide Load Permit Needed??

Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An American Coach Revolution 42w GVWR is 44,600 and GCWR is 59600 . Mom and Dad have been all over the country with out a CDL or Med. Card . He got pulled twice for speeding and once for being stuck ( well not realy pulled he was already stopped) and never ask about weight. The width is what is gonna get you !!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

What a GIANT pain in the ass. And here I was thinking I wanted an F650 for my daily. FML.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I found this through a CDL and RV search.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rv's are a different animal. They must have really good lobbyists. A truck towing a boat is entirely different. I have the tickets to prove it. I ,as stated before, have towed illegally but did get caught mostly due to the big truck. Had I been towing with a 1 ton dually whatever I probably would have gone unnoticed. A 1 ton however cann't tow 17000 on a tag hitch. I now hold a CDL and will never make a dime driving. Doug
Old 03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tow with a 40 foot eagle bus . I have never been stoped ever . It gets a little harry sometimes but , oh well . It grosses out at 38000# plus the boat . also , always over length . anywhere from 70 ft to 85 ft . my bus is registered as a motorhome . although I do have a class a cdl I have never been stoped or questioned about anything .
Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tim brown
It grosses out at 38000# plus the boat . also , always over length . anywhere from 70 ft to 85 ft . .
Holy Cow!!

Another advantage to RVs is the insurance is much cheaper as well..
Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would post an update on this issue because it really worried me before I left to go to Havasu to get my boat. 4500 miles and not a problem.

Saw close to a hundred DOT/truck police all across the country and nobody hassled me. As a matter of fact, spoke to one about all this on the road and he says it is real easy for them.

Are you earning money driving your rig? Is this your living or a vacation/recreation? He said technically anytime you have air brakes they should treat you as commercial vehicle, but they don't.

He also said they felt if you had air anything, you could be considered a commercial vehicle even if you are a F350/250. Dually had nothing to do with it.

I got my CDL medical card and am stopping there, because if you get the CDL license and do not obey the CDL rules, you could get in trouble.

This is just my experience. I know many here feel differently.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HTRDLNCN
Holy Cow!!

Another advantage to RVs is the insurance is much cheaper as well..
The insurance on this F650 is the same as any other truck we own, not a penny more.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have always heard to tag the vehicle as "Not For Hire" they are mostly looking to see if you are hauling professionally.