Notices

Ford diesel 6.4 vs 6.7 ??

Old 12-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford diesel 6.4 vs 6.7 ??

I currently own a 2009 F-450 dually with the International 6.4L engine. Recently while pulling 3 horses the engine went to a "reduced power mode" for no apparent reason. I took the truck to my local dealer who informed me that the 6.4 had been a "disappointment" and likened the reliability to the former 6.0L disaster. I fell for the bait and of course test drove the new 2012 F-450 6.7 diesel. I have to admit that is a nice feeling, riding, and performing truck at a reduced fuel consumption over the 6.4L. While I do not fault any dealer from "doing their job" to sell me a new truck, I was wondering what the real story is on the 6.4 vs the 6.7 diesel?? My truck is pure stock with only 17K miles. I need a reliable truck as I am usually pulling expensive show horses and can not tolerate a breakdown. Thank you for any constructive experience and insightful input.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:57 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

what was the EXACT reason for the limp-home scene?

just getting rid of the DPF and adding a responsible programmer gives satisfying results, I know of no 6.4 engine malady's other than the radiator debacle
Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Bro in law just bought a new F250 KR 6.7 today after putting 138000 on his 08 6.4. Had issues after 100000 he said with injection pump and multiple radiators.

Last edited by endeavor1; 12-18-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Buzilla on this. Did the dealer give you the reason for the reduced power and is it likely to return. Only 17k miles is really LOW mileage and I wold look to see if this a "common issue".
Your truck is under warranrty I think. You would take a big hit on a trade in.

Wannabe
Old 12-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6.4's have several known problems that can get expensive,

1. Radiator leaks............supposedly mostly on early '08 trucks

2. High pressure fuel pump failures.............Ford seems to take the route to deny the warranty and claim it's due to water in the fuel......$8000ish repair at the dealer

3. Rocker arm failures and flattened camshaft lobes at around 100k miles

Problems that I've heard of on the 6.7's so far are some high pressure pump failures and some turbo failures on the 450 and 550 cab and chassis trucks for some reason. Not sure that either are "common" problems but it may be too early to tell.

I know a lot of people are high on the 6.7 engine now but I remember most having the same feelings about the 6.4 early in its run when compared to the 6.0 it had replaced. I've been looking for a second truck for my business and knowing what I know now I've taken the 6.4 trucks off my list. For me I'd much rather get a 6.0 truck and do all the known fixes as soon as I get it. Because it's been around for awhile now the problems have been worked thru and there are fixes for most of its problems readily available.

After seeing how Ford is denying warranty claims on low mileage 6.4's with fuel system failures I'm not ready to spend $60k to buy a new 6.7 truck and have them tell me I got a teaspoon of water in my fuel tank (or some other lame excuse) and my warranty is voided. I dont think there's enough history yet to tell how the 6.7 will last long term under heavy use............at least that I've seen given Fords diesel history since 2003.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the 6.0 and the 6.4 were both from international,the 6.7 is all ford,i think it is going to be much better,i guess time will tell,im thinking about a new one myself,my 05 6l is out of warranty.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
the 6.0 and the 6.4 were both from international,the 6.7 is all ford,i think it is going to be much better,i guess time will tell,im thinking about a new one myself,my 05 6l is out of warranty.
Ya, I know the history but I'm still skeptical..........I need to see a few years of 7.3 or 5.9 Cummins type reliability before I'm convinced. Not even sure that is possible with these emmisions era diesel engines? Believe me I'm a Ford guy..........I've had nothing but Ford trucks since '86. For my money I'll buy a $20 - $25k clean 6.0 truck and spend $7k doing all the "fixes" until I see if the the 6.7 proves itself. Then I'll buy a nice used 2011 6.7 sometime around 2015
Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered

I'd be livid if I pulled into a dealer with my $60K+ ride and got that cr*p. The dealer should be standing up for the products THEY sell, not throwing their OE under the bus just to gain another sale. You have purchased and own a new, top-of-the-line truck. You are owed a solution to the problem.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by pat@osp
6.4's have several known problems that can get expensive,

1. Radiator leaks............supposedly mostly on early '08 trucks

2. High pressure fuel pump failures.............Ford seems to take the route to deny the warranty and claim it's due to water in the fuel......$8000ish repair at the dealer

3. Rocker arm failures and flattened camshaft lobes at around 100k miles

Problems that I've heard of on the 6.7's so far are some high pressure pump failures and some turbo failures on the 450 and 550 cab and chassis trucks for some reason. Not sure that either are "common" problems but it may be too early to tell.

I know a lot of people are high on the 6.7 engine now but I remember most having the same feelings about the 6.4 early in its run when compared to the 6.0 it had replaced. I've been looking for a second truck for my business and knowing what I know now I've taken the 6.4 trucks off my list. For me I'd much rather get a 6.0 truck and do all the known fixes as soon as I get it. Because it's been around for awhile now the problems have been worked thru and there are fixes for most of its problems readily available.

After seeing how Ford is denying warranty claims on low mileage 6.4's with fuel system failures I'm not ready to spend $60k to buy a new 6.7 truck and have them tell me I got a teaspoon of water in my fuel tank (or some other lame excuse) and my warranty is voided. I dont think there's enough history yet to tell how the 6.7 will last long term under heavy use............at least that I've seen given Fords diesel history since 2003.
I have a 09 6.4 and had a high pressure fuel pump go bad. The truck had 25k miles and it took 3 days for ford to go through with the warranty job. At first it went into to limp mode and then it wouldn't run at all. Pretty sure i'm going to buy the extended warranty. I get about 17mpg going down the highway and 12-13 pulling 12k pounds. Not sure how much better the 6.7 is.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountainracing
I currently own a 2009 F-450 dually with the International 6.4L engine. Recently while pulling 3 horses the engine went to a "reduced power mode" for no apparent reason. I took the truck to my local dealer who informed me that the 6.4 had been a "disappointment" and likened the reliability to the former 6.0L disaster. I fell for the bait and of course test drove the new 2012 F-450 6.7 diesel. I have to admit that is a nice feeling, riding, and performing truck at a reduced fuel consumption over the 6.4L. While I do not fault any dealer from "doing their job" to sell me a new truck, I was wondering what the real story is on the 6.4 vs the 6.7 diesel?? My truck is pure stock with only 17K miles. I need a reliable truck as I am usually pulling expensive show horses and can not tolerate a breakdown. Thank you for any constructive experience and insightful input.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to send your thread off into a Ford diesel bashing direction. To answer your question...............the guy you talked to at that dealership isnt lying about the 6.4L. Ford has had lots of problems with them and most Ford diesel techs that I know (guys that work on them every day) have and would spend their own personal $$ on a 6.0 before a 6.4 if that tells you anything. The 6.7 seems to be a better option so far but obviously not nearly as many out there yet with higher mileage to get a good read on long term reliability. It is a Ford design engine now not International.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.