Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners >

tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners

Notices

tundra and silverado/denali 6.2 owners

Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
You realize that anyone working on trucks will see 20 times more Ford/Chevy's than Toyota's right? They are the 2 most popular vehicles sold for the last 10+ years, so yeah mechanics see a lot of them. It's a statistical given due to the amount of each sold. Hell, before 07 the Tundra was some midsized deal that sold no volume and did no real work.

So if your opinion of reliability is because people who work on trucks work on more Chevy's (500k sold a year for over 10 years, plus the SUV's for another 200k) vs Tundra's ( avg of 100k or so a year for 5 years) than you might want to not keep spreading the gospel.
You do realize there is more to base quality of said manufacture on than just the tundra, lets do some other quality comparisons just for fun.

Toyota Camry vs chevy impala
Toyota corolla vs Chevy colbalt
Toyota rav4 vs chevy trailblazer

Do I really have to go on? As far as I am concerned the big three shouldn't have any competition, after all they all started here in this beautiful country. But they gave us crap cars for so long we got fed up, they caused the competition. The jap cars started as a cheap alternative, and now the Honda accord and toyo Camry lead the car market (ford taurus and impala are olny close because they are popular program cars for companies, the numbers are not accurate) cause Americans got fed up, they are no longer cheaper but a little more expensive and a LOT more value.

They lost my truck business, and I will continue to preach. You should be preaching to you own company to make better parts, and your labor force to take a little benefit and pay cut to put more money into the product.

I heard the new Chevy sonic was originally supposed to be called the "bailout" but the name was voted down
Old 06-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
I have to agree with you for the same issues. It's not like the GM won't last...they will. And they don't usually have major probs (like dodge) just a bunch of little crap that can drive you nuts. Running high miles in a few years is not a good gauge, my GM trucks at the 5 year mark all took a turn for the worst.

My customers are repairs shops, I used to teach auto tech clinics on the side.......the GM loyalty kills me, ask a tech and see what they say!

GM's may break a lot, good news is 1. they are usually easy fixes 2. they are almost always common issues that even a guy at a parts store can tell you what is wrong. 3. the parts are cheap, because so many are made
Thank you. My point exactly.

You do realize there is more to base quality of said manufacture on than just the tundra, lets do some other quality comparisons just for fun.

Do I really have to go on? As far as I am concerned the big three shouldn't have any competition, after all they all started here in this beautiful country. But they gave us crap cars for so long we got fed up, they caused the competition. The jap cars started as a cheap alternative, and now the Honda accord and toyo Camry lead the car market (ford taurus and impala are olny close because they are popular program cars for companies, the numbers are not accurate) cause Americans got fed up, they are no longer cheaper but a little more expensive and a LOT more value.

They lost my truck business, and I will continue to preach. You should be preaching to you own company to make better parts, and your labor force to take a little benefit and pay cut to put more money into the product.

I heard the new Chevy sonic was originally supposed to be called the "bailout" but the name was voted down
You couldn't have said it better. I've personally had over 15 vehicles from the Big 3 over the years, I'm NOT brand loyal, and my last 4 have been Toyota/Lexus products. The reason? I've had a lot better reliability out of them. Plain and simple. I average 3,000+ miles a month on my personal vehicles.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
My last two new Chevy trucks I personally bought were a 98 and 00 plus a handful of other GM cars around the same years. A few were lemons to put it mildly. All the newer GM, Dodge, and Ford trucks I've had were company trucks. Yes, they are worked much harder than my Tundra but I can't imagine a my GM radio is worked any harder my personal trucks and the last 5 GM radios all the button lights have burnt out. It's little stuff like that that goes wrong on the GMs that drive me nuts. How hard is it to make a side marker light that doesn't burn out every 5 months?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Duramax/Allison driveline. I just wish Toyota made the rest of the truck
I would have to agree with others in that comparing a work truck and personal truck is like comparing rocks and oranges. Your assesment on the radio makes sense but at the same time, you have that work trucks running and working all day long with people with dirty/wet hands touching dials and such, which eventually that grime is going to affect operation. not to mention people banging around the truck with tools and everything else.

To me buying a jap truck is like buying a double wide, you can sit there all day and say its nice and all this, but theres a reason more people buy the house and not the double wide.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Registered

If I were to buy a Jap vehicle it would be a car and I dont know how you can say any of those are better than the domestic. They dont make trail blazers anymore, but a Checy equinox is by far better than a rav4. You ever ride in a corolla or rav, what cheap junk. I definitely would not drive a yota, cheap and cheap some more. Yota and mazda just smell economy from miles away, not saying they dont go point a to b, but personally Im not willing to be driving rental type cars on a daily basis. Theres a reason Gm owns the market and not the japs.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I would have to agree with others in that comparing a work truck and personal truck is like comparing rocks and oranges. Your assesment on the radio makes sense but at the same time, you have that work trucks running and working all day long with people with dirty/wet hands touching dials and such, which eventually that grime is going to affect operation. not to mention people banging around the truck with tools and everything else.

To me buying a jap truck is like buying a double wide, you can sit there all day and say its nice and all this, but theres a reason more people buy the house and not the double wide.
And by double wide you mean low quality stuff, sub standard parts that break easy......The big three are making the "double wides". I hear the windows are the worst part of a double wide, GM can't figure out how to keep the windows working in their trucks. Don't worry though, every parts store has the regulator, and a rivet gun you can rent to replace it. You think advance auto parts has a window motor for any toyota?? nope, I guess you are right...GM is better for the economy, in the form of aftermarket parts....BTW, those parts are made in china lol

You guys can knock the looks of my truck if it doesn't suit you, design, interior layout.....I'll give you that it's a matter of opinion. But for you to make a statement that a GM anything is higher quality is just laughable! You are simply blinded by your inbred biased loyalty. I broke that mold, and am proud to say I did.

Another interesting article from a trusted source

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43562127/The_...ars_and_Trucks

You keep defending GM, we have listed the known failures and your repsonse is there are more trucks on the road.....garbage.

If you have access to Mitchel or Shop key look up these-

TSB= tech service bulletin, a bulletin on a known problem and how to fix it. If found after warranty will not be covered

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 283 TSB's
2007 Toyota Tundra - 32 TSB's

Disgusting if you ask me. Enjoy your "american made" truck, I'll enjoy mine.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Registered

I dont own a GM truck, I have a Ford thats why Im in Ford because its better than GM. But that ford is hands down better than a Tundra. Its funny online you guys got these guys that knew a guy or 13 years ago I had this truck that was nothing but issues and it always centers around something stupid like a window. There are tons of chevys running around and been around tons of owners with nothing bad to say.

And I figured I would give you some number between an F150 and a Tundra

This is all from 2012 manufacture websites, both are 4x4 extended cab, XLT type trim levels I didnt get into the bells and whistles. On the Yota I went with the bigger 5.7 engine and on the Ford the EB, both with the max tow option.

Yota Mpg- 16-20 Ford 15-21

Yota HP- 381 Ford 360

Yota Torque- 401 Ford 420 Note the EB gives you all that torque at 2500 yota gives it to you at 3600 but with a curve

Yota towing 9700 and paylod 1450 Ford 11,300 and 1500 and some change

Also take in mind the Ford offers the 6 speed tranny in everything not just in there larger engines. Both are relatively the same priced. The Yota does offer a better power train warranty by having an extra 40k on it.

Other things to note Ford does have an HD package which does up the payload to over 2000lbs on the Ford, Ford also has sync. But again these are getting away from more of the base options.

Last edited by soldier4402; 06-21-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been a Toyota and Lexus tech for years but have worked on everything. The years that I have been in the business I have never had to put an engine or transmission in any tundra and a handful of times on the other models but that was due to customer neglect. Except the old 4runner 3.0 recall that Toyota covered no matter mileage. I have had a my tundra with 170000 miles and have only had to do maintenance. I am just waiting for them to bring a diesel to the u.s well other then the yanmar diesels used in boats. For the Japan vs USA argument the tundra is built in the united states as well as the engines along with most of there other model lines.
You shouldn't hesitate to buy a tundra
Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/results.cfm here is a government website that provides the numbers and you were a little off. It is 110 to 31 in a 2007 model year, which is still triple the issues and you have a point, but 2007 was a new model year for them with new power trains and everything. Also out of 31 TSB the yota had 12 power trains and out of 110 Chevy had 14, so half of all yota issues are power train issues which either take more time and or more money to fix.

But the big thing to look at is recalls Chevy in 2007 has a big fat goose egg wheres the yota has 7. TSBs do not mean that all vehicles are effected or there is a huge problem, and TSB's come about from each companies own processees and annotated. vs a recall is usually something pretty major. And check out the number of vehicles affected on Yotas recalls, half a million, 200k. Wow looks reliable.

I also would like a vehicle where the gas pedal doesnt drive its self.

Last edited by soldier4402; 06-21-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hullofjustis
I have been a Toyota and Lexus tech for years but have worked on everything. The years that I have been in the business I have never had to put an engine or transmission in any tundra and a handful of times on the other models but that was due to customer neglect. Except the old 4runner 3.0 recall that Toyota covered no matter mileage. I have had a my tundra with 170000 miles and have only had to do maintenance. I am just waiting for them to bring a diesel to the u.s well other then the yanmar diesels used in boats. For the Japan vs USA argument the tundra is built in the united states as well as the engines along with most of there other model lines.
You shouldn't hesitate to buy a tundra
What about all the runaway throttles that had to be replaced? Others brought up a good point whre the tundras are a fraction of whats on the road thus you should see less in a shop. Also there isnt much work trucks that are tundras and to be honest with you most tundras are the guys that go to their office and dont have a lick of grease or rust on their receiver so you know its nothing more than a grocery getter.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I didn't want this to turn into American vs Japan but should of known it would happen... I really like hearing personal experiences with these vehicles not opinions so I'm glad to hear you Toyota guys having good ones with your trucks, what about you Denali guys? I think I'm gonna go drive one today and was just wondering if you've had any issues or problems with your trucks? I know it will tow my boat from hearing what some of you tow with yours and I know the inside of the truck is very nice cause it's loaded so I really think I will love the truck when I drive it. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.