Notices

2013 Yukon Denali

Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I.D.C.E.
Congrats on the Denali, you wont have any worries. The 6.2 is a beast, and the 6L80E gets you in the right power curve at all times. That being said you have to get use to the frequent upshifting and downshifting. Also in tow haul mode dont be startled when you decel, they incorporated engine braking to slow you down when you put your foot on the brake so the engine revs a little.

I a 2010 Sierra Denali since new and it has been awesome towing my Formula PC. Look into the Hypertech power programmer it really adds a bit of power and increases your gas mileage by 1-2. I have it and im sold on it. I bought the Hypertech for my Dad's 04 Yukon Denali and his engine lasted 323,000 miles before it would set a code for random misfire which turned out to be just a pitted cam and roller lifter.

Good luck with it. Make sure you get under there and detail out the undercarriage there are some exposed metal parts you should just hit with some semi gloss black so no rusting occurs.

Just an fyi. The new ones are 6L80E. You had the 4L60E, which most likely broke the sunshell in which you lose 2nd, 4th, and Reverse. Very common problem when overloading these lighter duty transmissions. They have an update that I hope your trans shop did, which is known as "The Beast". Its the shell made out of better and thicker metal so you do not run into that again. Im a trans builder, I see tons of these.
Thanks for the info. I will take a look under the truck with spray can in hand.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

For what it's worth, I had no issues towing a 288 Sunsation with a '04 Z71 Tahoe. Like you, I was always appreciative to receive positive feedback so thought I would share.

Seeing that you're running a 6.2 you will have a leg up on anything I experienced. Due to where I boat, I wanted more power and a more comfortable tow so I recently upgraded to a '11 F250 PowerStroke.

At times I will say having a longer wheelbase would have been appreciated. Going, stopping, and overall towing isn't an issue. However, when the trailer wandered I'd pucker a bit. Like I said, you'll be fine and congrats on the new rig!
Old 03-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
For what it's worth, I had no issues towing a 288 Sunsation with a '04 Z71 Tahoe. Like you, I was always appreciative to receive positive feedback so thought I would share.

Seeing that you're running a 6.2 you will have a leg up on anything I experienced. Due to where I boat, I wanted more power and a more comfortable tow so I recently upgraded to a '11 F250 PowerStroke.

At times I will say having a longer wheelbase would have been appreciated. Going, stopping, and overall towing isn't an issue. However, when the trailer wandered I'd pucker a bit. Like I said, you'll be fine and congrats on the new rig!
Thanks for the feedback. Tried towing for the first time last week,I wanted to take the boat to the scales and see what it weighed, Right around 7500 loaded with fuel. Truck seemed to tow fine but we'll see when it comes to hills LOL.

Cheers
James
Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Best of luck with the Denali....I have a 2010 and its been a great truck......as it was mentioned earlier, the 6.2 and 6spd is a great combo. Just be sure to keep it in the towing mode on hills...makes a big difference keeping the engine in the power band and really cuts down on needless "hunting" for the right gear.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Registered

Talking

Originally Posted by Formula_272_SR1
Best of luck with the Denali....I have a 2010 and its been a great truck......as it was mentioned earlier, the 6.2 and 6spd is a great combo. Just be sure to keep it in the towing mode on hills...makes a big difference keeping the engine in the power band and really cuts down on needless "hunting" for the right gear.
Thanks for the info. I heard that it still might hunt a bit for gears at times but I can always put it in manual mode.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

when the time comes. Check out Black Bear Performance for your tuning. Way better than Hyper-Tech or SuperChips. He has standard tunes for towing and power or you can get a data logger from him and send him your data. He will then tailor a tune for you no extra charge. Nice thing is it is non detectable so it won't affect your warranty. I did my 05' Tahoe Z-71 and man what a differance.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.asp
Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CIG3
when the time comes. Check out Black Bear Performance for your tuning. Way better than Hyper-Tech or SuperChips. He has standard tunes for towing and power or you can get a data logger from him and send him your data. He will then tailor a tune for you no extra charge. Nice thing is it is non detectable so it won't affect your warranty. I did my 05' Tahoe Z-71 and man what a differance.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.asp
Thanks for the link, I will check them out.

James