Notices

what will tow better ?

Old 12-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
so towing 1 38 fountain with a toyota truck might be dangerous ?
You are doing it all wrong with that 2013 F-350 Lariat dually diesel Mike. Didn't you know you could have just bought a F150 saved some money, and your wife would have a truck to get groceries in and rides like a car. Think of how much more room you'd have in the shop without that dedicated tow rig . On paper, your old F250 was plenty of truck . But I think your azz told you what truck pulls better on those loto trips. You had both, which one feels better ?

According to oso, your 38 Fountain is almost the same size as a 32 Active Thunder so it's relative
Old 12-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

"Thank goodness I was only towing at 64.7 MPH and not 66.2! I'd be dead right now!"

...said no one ever.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
The problem with these threads, is they are simply opinion based. Some guys simply don't know how close they are to disaster. They figure if the truck got the trailer to speed, made it to the lake and back, then it's just fine. Not realizing their soccer mom c rated tires were on the verge of explosion. The rear tires are looking like smashed balloons, fronts you can slip a feeler gauge under. The rear axle is burning the paint off the diff cover, and you need a dust mask to avoid breathing in the brake lining material. Having to correct the steering wheel every 4 milliseconds is normal, and the commercial says it can tow it.

But since we are giving opinions I'll give mine. And that is, a 32 active thunder, or a 33 outlaw, have no business behind a F150, expedition, or any 1/2 ton for that matter. I never understood how guys want a big boat , but refuse to get the proper tow vehicle. If ya can't upgrade the truck, ya shouldn't upgrade the boat. If money is tight, sell the newer 1/2 ton and get and older 3/4 or 1 ton.
basically what im going to do . trade the 1/2 ton for a 1/2 ton suv for the wife since we will do most of our running around together and all of her driving to and from school in , and sell her car to buy a older but bigger , better tow truck . so when i upgrade to a 32 ill have nothing to worry about .
Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

To be serious we know how important a correct sized tow rig is for the safety of all involved, This is a subject not to be taken lightly! Always error on the side of caution! I don't have to tow very far but I have a 2012 Ford f-350 6.7 diesel. Feels real safe!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
To be serious we know how important a correct sized tow rig is for the safety of all involved, This is a subject not to be taken lightly! Always error on the side of caution! I don't have to tow very far but I have a 2012 Ford f-350 6.7 diesel. Feels real safe!
I would agree with you, you can also talk about truck ratings till your blue in the face, but the biggest factor, which is often not portrayed thru these threads, is the experience of the person sitting behind the wheel. I don't care what you drive, you are not going to win a battle if your following to close, not looking a mile down the road or anticipating what every car around you next move is...

So like mild thunder eluded to, everyone has an opinion about what tow vehicles are safe, but thats less than 1/2 the equation.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by state1310
basically what im going to do . trade the 1/2 ton for a 1/2 ton suv for the wife since we will do most of our running around together and all of her driving to and from school in , and sell her car to buy a older but bigger , better tow truck . so when i upgrade to a 32 ill have nothing to worry about .
Sounds like a good plan!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In this case, I'd argue that the new F-150 is the better tow option. I think unless the boat upgrade is in the real near future, a 3/4 is overkill for a 25AT... Come on guys, I know the bigger is better idea, but that F-150 will tow happily all day long and all over the country.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Chev 1500hd is really a 2500 and the better tow option. its got 8 lug axles and can pull the 32 AT.

Wannabe
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You are doing it all wrong with that 2013 F-350 Lariat dually diesel Mike. Didn't you know you could have just bought a F150 saved some money, and your wife would have a truck to get groceries in and rides like a car. Think of how much more room you'd have in the shop without that dedicated tow rig . On paper, your old F250 was plenty of truck . But I think your azz told you what truck pulls better on those loto trips. You had both, which one feels better ?

According to oso, your 38 Fountain is almost the same size as a 32 Active Thunder so it's relative
ya,the guys that think they can SAFELY tow the 38 and bigger boats with half ton trucks are only fooling there self.i understand that it is more expensive to buy the bigger trucks but it,s a matter of safety for me.i did not like the way my f250 felt pulling the 38 in the rain..i did not feel safe when passing or being passed by a semi and things start swaying so i decided that a dually was needed.now i dont have the swaying issue,the brakes are way bigger and that,s a big plus.for a lot of people a bigger truck is not in the budget so they continue to tow with what they have and i totally understand that.are they taking a gamble every time they tow,YES imo.

Last edited by mike tkach; 12-30-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Registered

Look at this. Impressive!!! The truck pulled the boat up the ramp. Whohoo! Totally capable. FYI, whether or not your vehicle can pull the boat up the ramp, doesn't define it as the proper tow vehicle. The same results could be done with a 4 cylinder S10 4x4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz9Tp--NS_g

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.