Notices

EOH conversion questions

Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Danno302
Oh I will be doing 3 axles! Brakes are one thing I would rather overkill than under equip. My whole point is to flat out NOT have to ever worry about braking again! Probably have to do something like this...http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brak.../T4843800.html... or this..http://www.etrailer.com/p-T4843700.html ...and add another axle set and a P2 or P3 controller. whew! if you say it real fast its really not that expensive considering the improvement.
Those kits are 5 lug 3500 lb axle kits. Do you have 5 lug or 6 lug axles?

If you have 6 lug, check out these:

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trai...pm-Kodiak.aspx

Last edited by 97FASTech; 05-15-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Those kits are 5 lug 3500 lb axle kits. Do you have 5 lug or 6 lug axles?

If you have 6 lug, check out these:

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trai...pm-Kodiak.aspx
Yes 5 lug, 3500#, 10" disc/drum. Heard such good reviews on Kodiak...disappointed the kits have no hoses or bearings! The Titan kit has everything but I'm researching their reliability. Thanks for the post!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Yes 5 lug, 3500#, 10" disc/drum. Heard such good reviews on Kodiak...disappointed the kits have no hoses or bearings! The Titan kit has everything but I'm researching their reliability. Thanks for the post!
Hey Dan, I just thought of something. I have three 3500# disc brake axle that I pulled off my personal boat trailer when I switched to two 7000# axles. If the spring center and hub face measurements are the same I'd sell these complete axles or you could use the calipers, brackets, and rotors and put them on your axles. Save yourself some money if you're interested. The axles are in very good condition. Not sure what it'd be to ship the three axles but the parts shouldn't be too expensive too ship.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Hey Dan, I just thought of something. I have three 3500# disc brake axle that I pulled off my personal boat trailer when I switched to two 7000# axles. If the spring center and hub face measurements are the same I'd sell these complete axles or you could use the calipers, brackets, and rotors and put them on your axles. Save yourself some money if you're interested. The axles are in very good condition. Not sure what it'd be to ship the three axles but the parts shouldn't be too expensive too ship.
Man that is really nice of you to offer! I don't have any interest in changing the complete axles. If the components are in very good condition and we were sure they would fit, that could be cool. How old are they and when did you remove them? My concern would be the rotor surfaces and possible caliper piston seizure from sitting unused. I'm guessing shipping could be high due to weight. Give me their condition and some idea of what you would ask for them and it will be considered. I appreciate your thoughts and offer! I too will be selling my removed surge brakes, as the backing plates and master cylinder are fairly new!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Man that is really nice of you to offer! I don't have any interest in changing the complete axles. If the components are in very good condition and we were sure they would fit, that could be cool. How old are they and when did you remove them? My concern would be the rotor surfaces and possible caliper piston seizure from sitting unused. I'm guessing shipping could be high due to weight. Give me their condition and some idea of what you would ask for them and it will be considered. I appreciate your thoughts and offer! I too will be selling my removed surge brakes, as the backing plates and master cylinder are fairly new!
They're in very good condition and have been sitting inside my shop on a pallet rack. They were new when I bought my boat and I only pulled it about 1000 miles total if that. PM me a number and I text some pics as soon as I have a chance to get them down.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today, I finished my conversion over to Kodiak 13" disc brakes on two axles of a triple. I installed a Titan SD II system with a Prodigy III controller. I am amazed at how great these EOH systems will stop 12K. They recommend a power level of 6.0 ( 14.0 Max. ) and that locked up the tires. I am now down to 4.5 on a B-2 boost level.
These systems are worth EVERY penny. Like others have said I can't belive I waited so long to upgrade.

Rich
Old 05-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rrentsch
Today, I finished my conversion over to Kodiak 13" disc brakes on two axles of a triple. I installed a Titan SD II system with a Prodigy III controller. I am amazed at how great these EOH systems will stop 12K. They recommend a power level of 6.0 ( 14.0 Max. ) and that locked up the tires. I am now down to 4.5 on a B-2 boost level.
These systems are worth EVERY penny. Like others have said I can't belive I waited so long to upgrade.

Rich
Great to hear! That's the equipment I am going with also. Since mine are only 10" I feel I should do all 3 axles and end any and all concerns about brakes! Its not that much more to add another axle. I'm hoping to keep the brake lines from the surge drums intact but will be getting disc kits that have new lines just in case...need the flexible hoses to attach to calipers anyway. Thanks for the post!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Registered

I've read every post on this subject on OSO,,,so much great information! I trust what I've read, just can't figure out how a proportional controller can sense any DECELERATION on a vehicle that is backing down a ramp !!?? Maybe the sensing device works in both directions as long as the brakes are applied. I've asked the question at Tekonsha...will share the answer for any other anal idiots that might want to know
OK as promised, here's the answer I received from Tekonsha:

"Thank you for contacting Tech Support. I apologize for the delay in the reply. The P2 has a boost feature, that when engaged, will supply an instant voltage to the brakes when the brake pedal is depressed. This would be either 15% or 25%, depending on the boost setting you select. This will help create deceleration. If I can be anymore help please let me know"
........simple answer...most of you probably knew...I needed to understand and now I do!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Good info Danno!!!

"This will help create deceleration!!!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Good info Danno!!!

"This will help create deceleration!!!
Yeah, it makes sense....a quick jolt on the brakes to start deceleration (adjustable to your trailer's weight) , then the sensor takes over. Answers my question of how the controller could ever sense deceleration when going backward down a ramp!